Strokes

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited September 24, 2011 in Sports
In field hockey, after a couple of overtime periods, if everything is still tied, they go into "Strokes." Its similar to what they do in Ice Hockey. In the final game of a small tournament yesterday, my duaghter's team was tied and went into strokes. In this, the ball is placed about five yards or so in front of the goal. The girl taking the stroke can't take any steps, just has to shoot. The rest of the teams stand back at the 25 yard line and watch. I wasn't sure what to do with this setup--but here's what I tried. I positioned myself about 10-15 yards behind and just to the right of goal and focused on the shooter. After the first couple, I switched my aim point from center to far right to be able to get more of the goal/goalie in the frame. Here's what I got:

IMG0065a-L.jpg

IMG0070a-L.jpg

A blocked shot:

IMG0084a-L.jpg

IMG0097a-L.jpg

Appreciate any comments or other's experience with shooting this part of the game...
Regards

Will

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2011
    It's hard to get good shots of strokes. The tendency is to try to get both the shooter and the goalie. Too much dead space. Your vantage point was good for shooter shots, but I'd shoot tighter, and keep shooting so you get the facial expression whether she misses or scores. BTW: These girls looked pretty confident - shooting for the side netting. If I'm featuring the keeper, I'd rather be around the 25 so I get her frontside.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.