FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is this too "pretty" to be dirty?

40201683-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I don't think it's too pretty but is it 'dirty' enough headscratch.gif It's certainly a tougher challenge than what I first thought.
    I like the idea of flowers next to dirt but there is already a strong image with these factors in the challenge and the image seems a little orange.

eek7.gif I hope you don't think the above is too negative. ne_nau.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Is this too "pretty" to be dirty?

40201683-L.jpg

The color cast and the lack of contrast make it tough to judge, IMO. If the cast and low contrast were intentional, I don't think it works...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Thanks, guys. Your comments are helpful. :): The photos was taken at a cemetery and I was trying for an old photo effect. The laptop I am working from at the moment shows photos as a bit bluish, so what looks like sepia on my screen may well appear to be too orange to the rest of the world. Here is the original photo in color.

40215433-L.jpg

Va

Email
    edited October 16, 2005
    The color was OK for sepia, it was the treatment that ended up washing the whole thing out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 16, 2005
    I'm not sure this shot lends itself to sepia, but here's my attempt, using the method found at Greg Gorman's site. (Click Enter>Navigate>Learn>B/W conversion tutorial).

I've saved the steps as an Action in PS CS2, if you're interested I can get it to you.

40219451-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Draganize it?
    This may not suit your personal taste but the "effect" certainly gives it a more "dirty" appearance..... if you have this action thingee you can adjust, tweak, twist, turn... to make it work for you. This is just a no frills version...

40239234-L.jpg

Actually.... I liked your "dirty sidewalk" shot. The one with the cluttered posters on the sidewalk billboard and the trash dumped on the street. I was going to ask you how you got the footsie shot... please tell me you didn't lay in the middle of the street. :D I would have liked that with a little more dirt.. the contrast of the shoe colors really worked for me on that one.

Anyhoo.... just my thoughts.... good luck on deciding. I went to re-shoot my piggie.... and no pig in the pen. :cry Sorry for the long delay replying....

Dan

I messed with your photo. Not good? Sorry. This post will self-destruct in 10, 9, 8.....
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
    edited October 17, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm not sure this shot lends itself to sepia, but here's my attempt, using the method found at Greg Gorman's site. (Click Enter>Navigate>Learn>B/W conversion tutorial).

I've saved the steps as an Action in PS CS2, if you're interested I can get it to you.

Thanks, David. Nice job, though I think I agree with you that the photo doesn't work in sepia. I actually wanted mine to look like the faded color snaps from the 40's. Guess I succeeded too well. :lol4 I'd love to have the Action in PS CS2, but for the moment I am stuck with Corel PhotoPaint. I will check out Greg Gorman's site when I get back to my desk top because I'd like to learn how to do the conversion thing better. I can usually "translate" PS instructions so that I achieve more or less the same result in PP. Again, thanks for your helpful (really!!) input. :D

I don't see an entry from you. Did I miss it? ne_nau.gif

Va

Email
    edited October 17, 2005
    This may not suit your personal taste but the "effect" certainly gives it a more "dirty" appearance..... if you have this action thingee you can adjust, tweak, twist, turn... to make it work for you. This is just a no frills version...

Actually.... I liked your "dirty sidewalk" shot. The one with the cluttered posters on the sidewalk billboard and the trash dumped on the street. I was going to ask you how you got the footsie shot... please tell me you didn't lay in the middle of the street. :D I would have liked that with a little more dirt.. the contrast of the shoe colors really worked for me on that one.

Anyhoo.... just my thoughts.... good luck on deciding. I went to re-shoot my piggie.... and no pig in the pen. :cry Sorry for the long delay replying....

Dan

I messed with your photo. Not good? Sorry. This post will self-destruct in 10, 9, 8.....

I like the effect a lot. BTW, I am happy to have you mess with my photo even if it is one that only the photographer can love. rolleyes1.gifIt helps me learn.

Am still trying to decide whether to enter the trashy sidewalk or the under table shot (which is my favorite). ne_nau.gif I know the shoe shot doesn't show a lot of dirt, but the floor iIS dirty and the name of the contest is not "dirtiest!" Just to put your mind at ease, I didn't have to get down on the sidewalk to take the photo, though I have been known to do such things.

I love your pig as is. A totally great picture for this contest! Good luck in the challenge.

Va

Email