Nikon calls for your feedback

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited September 10, 2011 in Cameras
It looks like Nikon wants to know what you want in their cameras. Good. I thought it would be interesting if everyone who sent their feedback posted it here as well so we can see what other people want to change in their cameras. I'll start.

" My feedback isn't so much for a new particular feature or design idea. It's just what my ideal camera would look like in a near future. I think a great deal of people would be interested in a camera like this.

D700 body
Dual card slots ( from the D3s or D7000 )
FX sensor from the D3s

Such a camera would be a great refresh to the D700 and another use for the great D3s sensor at a much lower price.

However, for a truly outstanding camera, the following features would also be implemented:

Video comparable the the new Sony a77 ( 1080p at 60fps, newer codec )
Tiltable screen ( much like the Sony a77 )
Clearer, sharper LCD ( manually focusing on Nikon cameras using live view is much harder than doing it on a Canon 5DMkII for example, the image is much fuzzier )
100% viewfinder coverage
Wider spread of focus sensors ( Would be similar to the D300s disposition )

And for a real special camera:
1/500th of a second sync speed.

Hope to hear back from you if possible.
Thanks "

Comments

• pstaceypstacey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2011
    First post here, but my 2 suggestions were:

1. A histogram display based on the RAW data, not the JPEG
    2. An SDK for developers to add extra functionality to cameras and native recognition of external devices such as I pad/android tablets, etc.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Sounds like you want a video camera.
    Oh yeah, the suggestion box has been there for a long time. Do they actually listen, who knows. ne_nau.gif
    But you know what I would change.
    D700 body
    larger grip like a D3
    slightly tilted primary dial like the D3
    better weather seals that can meet IPX-1 and actually has it in writing. And is included in the warranty (wishful thinking)
    5:4 native sensor
    no video
    extended AF points (at least rule of thirds)
    User can customize which AF points that can be selected.
    110% viewfinder.
    replace the flash with a su-800 or radio commander.
    Fix the rubber gripping so that the glue/tape doesn't just come off over time.

There is more but, that is what I'd like to see changed.
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Welcome stacey.

The video would be a nice upgrade to have, but even D7000 video quality would be ok. And you know it will only improve in future cameras, no point in asking for no video.
    The tiltable screen is useful for photography as well.
    Why would you want the D3 grip in a D700 ?
    Oh, yeah, forgot that one, the "film" aspect ratio would be nice.
    Su-800 built in would be awesome.
    edited September 4, 2011
    Davidoff wrote: »
    Welcome stacey.

The video would be a nice upgrade to have, but even D7000 video quality would be ok. And you know it will only improve in future cameras, no point in asking for no video.
    The tiltable screen is useful for photography as well.
    Why would you want the D3 grip in a D700 ?
    Oh, yeah, forgot that one, the "film" aspect ratio would be nice.
    Su-800 built in would be awesome.

The grip on the D3 is bigger (beefier) and more ergonomic, hence more comfortable for all day shooting. The MB-D10 only extends the grip.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    I'm no Nikonian, but here's what I want to see in DSLRs, any brand:

Rearrange the back controls. Bigger screen, less buttons.
    Touch screen.
    Support for apps. Android is fine, or maybe a brand-specific OS. It has to have easy 3rd party app development.

Oh, speaking of wanted features: http://bythom.com/usersuggestions.htm

:D
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011

Touch screen.
    Support for apps. Android is fine, or maybe a brand-specific OS. It has to have easy 3rd party app development.

Oh my. *blows brains out*

The day my beloved digital cameras are as buggy and un-reliable as my Android phone, I'm quitting professional photography and buying a fridge full of film and a 4x5. No thank you!

:-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited September 4, 2011
    Oh my. *blows brains out*

The day my beloved digital cameras are as buggy and un-reliable as my Android phone, I'm quitting professional photography and buying a fridge full of film and a 4x5. No thank you!

:-P

=Matt=

Nikon wouldn't make something buggy and unreliable. I can only hope Canon wouldn't :). But really, this opens up so many possibilities: taking notes on the back of your camera, voice control, syncing settings with another camera, intervalometer/wireless control/tethering (much easier than now). Accessories could be added, say a wifi module for internet/file transfer, or a motion detector that automatically triggers the shutter. I'm not saying that a camera should necessarily have Android, just support for (3rd party) apps that can dramatically increase its functionality.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2011
    Nikon wouldn't make something buggy and unreliable. I can only hope Canon wouldn't :). But really, this opens up so many possibilities: taking notes on the back of your camera, voice control, syncing settings with another camera, intervalometer/wireless control/tethering (much easier than now). Accessories could be added, say a wifi module for internet/file transfer, or a motion detector that automatically triggers the shutter. I'm not saying that a camera should necessarily have Android, just support for (3rd party) apps that can dramatically increase its functionality.
    Okay, I can envision that to be quite functional and even exciting to use. I'll grant that. But I'll certainly still enjoy the "classic" shooting qualities of my current cameras, and also cameras past. My Nikon FM2 still sees a roll of film once a month, just for fun. What can I say, I just like mechanical operations and the look & feel of "classic" equipment. :-)

=Matt=
    edited September 4, 2011
    I can agree with that. I'd love a camera with a crop sensor in an old film-style body. Totally manual, except for a screen and maybe AF. That'd be cool!
    edited September 4, 2011

I would go back to film, if they did this to Nikon's higher end cameras.
    Sounds like you you want something like this: http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-slr-mount-announced/19193/
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    What I would like to see is for them to make a Plain Jane model, one where all you get is the minimum needed features to shoot photos. I say this because I dont use most of what they pile in there. They could make it where you could customize by purchasing the features you want. I would like to see them taht way offer DNG as a native RAW format, I would pay for that as an example.I think that being able to make the camera fit your needs would be a great thing. Too bad that page you pointed us to is for Europe.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
    edited September 5, 2011
    Joves wrote: »
    What I would like to see is for them to make a Plain Jane model, one where all you get is the minimum needed features to shoot photos. I say this because I dont use most of what they pile in there. They could make it where you could customize by purchasing the features you want. I would like to see them taht way offer DNG as a native RAW format, I would pay for that as an example.I think that being able to make the camera fit your needs would be a great thing. Too bad that page you pointed us to is for Europe.

I can see a entry level full frame model, just the basics. Lightwieght, small'ish, full manual controls and etc..
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I can see a entry level full frame model, just the basics. Lightwieght, small'ish, full manual controls and etc..

Canon did this with the 5D. If Nikon can do it at $1,500 or so it will be huge. I don't think they will though.
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Nikon, D800 or D700s/x soon, please! 18mp, 1080p, 12mp DX mode, built in grip, built in radio flash control, tilt and removable LCD with live view and full camera control.... with secure mount lock to satisfy those who think they would break a swivel screen, native 100 ISO, 1/500 or faster sync, and 10 frames per second.
    edited September 5, 2011
    I would go back to film, if they did this to Nikon's higher end cameras.
    Sounds like you you want something like this: http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-slr-mount-announced/19193/

Why go back to film?

It's like video, not everyone will use it. But unlike video, this would add many more possibilities/features for stills. There could be a "Menu" app. They could put a few customizable hard buttons on the camera body that open the app you want (like a menu button).

It's change, and innovation requires change. You can't just keep adding fps, mp's, stuff like that. It'd take some getting used to, but I think it would be a change for the better.

However, this is all useless if the (iphone) camera makes it nearly impossible for you to take a half decent photo :D
    edited September 5, 2011
    Why go back to film?

It's like video, not everyone will use it. But unlike video, this would add many more possibilities/features for stills. There could be a "Menu" app. They could put a few customizable hard buttons on the camera body that open the app you want (like a menu button).

It's change, and innovation requires change. You can't just keep adding fps, mp's, stuff like that. It'd take some getting used to, but I think it would be a change for the better.

Can't tell if serious. headscratch.gif
    edited September 5, 2011
    Can't tell if serious. headscratch.gif

Sure, totally. I realize calling them "apps" implies consumer electronics, they would have to be called some fancy photography word, but this would really allow for creative stuff. I'm not talking about an ipod touch on the back of your camera, I'm thinking of an open-source platform where developers can write their own useful photography applications. It'd be revolutionary, and true, some people wouldn't like it. But I can see it being really, really useful.
    edited September 5, 2011
    Sure, totally. I realize calling them "apps" implies consumer electronics, they would have to be called some fancy photography word, but this would really allow for creative stuff. I'm not talking about an ipod touch on the back of your camera, I'm thinking of an open-source platform where developers can write their own useful photography applications. It'd be revolutionary, and true, some people wouldn't like it. But I can see it being really, really useful.

Really you just need a small netbook or laptop and you can do plenty of tethering, note taking, sharing, syncing and etc... Somethings are already built in like intervalometer..
    I really don't want more things to clutter existing cameras. Just an improvement of what they have already.
    edited September 5, 2011
    No, really, a computer is totally different. These "apps" would allow us to control workflow where it begins (camera). I think this article says it best. Seriously, read that article, esp. "The Camera Redefined" part towards the bottom. It just makes me think how primitive today's cameras are. Today's cameras are cluttered, this would make them simpler and more powerful.
    edited September 5, 2011
    I can see the concept behind it all, and the good that it could do for creative photography, ...and the geek in me would love to see that type of equipment.

HOWEVER, there is an equal part in me that is a connoisseur of "oldschool". I still use an FM2 from the early 80's, when I feel like "playing". If I won the lottery, the first camera I'd buy would be a D1X, not a D3X. Heck, if I won the lottery I'd probably have WAY more AIS lenses than AFS lenses on my wishlist!

So, forgive me if I say that I condemn progress just for the sake of progress. Give me a D700s and a D700X combo, with dual card slots and a re-arrangement of the cross-type AF points, and I might NEVER buy another DSLR. Or at least, I wouldn't NEED to.

Don't get me wrong, the geek in me would LOVE to be able to monitor a time lapse (shots remaining, image review, battery life, ambient temp, moisture alert, etc.) ...from my smart phone in the comfort of a tent + sleeping bag.

But then again, some of my best stories are from laying in the dirt or standing in the rain, next to my tripod in the middle of flippin' nowhere. Conveniences of technology be damned! (some of the time...)

=Matt=
    edited September 5, 2011
    Well, that's what that totally manual retro DSLR is for. I want that just as much :)
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Ability to place an AF point anywhere in the frame.

pp
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Push Quality ISO to the Max
    Push ISO quality to the max so I don't have to use any flash for journalistic style photography is the number one new feature for me.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited September 6, 2011

Touch screen.

Great article. I have been involved in IT for longer than I want to note here, and Hogan makes some excellent points. I think I can envision what he wants as the ultimate DSLR. And only one word would describe it - Wow!

It seems to me that if Canon, Nikon or Sony don't do it somebody else will reinvent the camera along his suggestions because the know how and technology are probably all there.

Love technology.
    Phil
    edited September 6, 2011

Touch screen.

Great article. I have been involved in IT for longer than I want to note here (used Wang Computers and went through the "sneaker net" as he mentions). Hogan makes some excellent points.

I think I can envision what he wants as the ultimate DSLR. And I agree with him. I would take it a step farther though - If Canon, Nikon or Sony don't do it somebody else will reinvent the camera as he suggests because the know how and technology are probably all there.

I could further envision the capability of building a custom camera from different manufacturers or modular parts from the same manufacturer. And using different apps to differentiate my style and goals.

Phil
    Phil
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    mine would be D800
    D7K sensor upgraded to full frame (so about 1.5 stop better ISO performance then current D700 with 16Mpixels)
    D3 like autofocus
    expanded focal point selection in frame
    dual CF
    8 FPS
    double the buffer
    100% viewfinder coverage
    in camera HDR

$3k price
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited September 6, 2011
    Great article. I have been involved in IT for longer than I want to note here (used Wang Computers and went through the "sneaker net" as he mentions). Hogan makes some excellent points.

I think I can envision what he wants as the ultimate DSLR. And I agree with him. I would take it a step farther though - If Canon, Nikon or Sony don't do it somebody else will reinvent the camera as he suggests because the know how and technology are probably all there.

I could further envision the capability of building a custom camera from different manufacturers or modular parts from the same manufacturer. And using different apps to differentiate my style and goals.

Phil

I sure hope some company will. I don't understand why no one has done it yet. The technology is there, the know-how is... why doesn't anyone do it? Is there some drawback that we don't know about? Thom has talked about how he gives presentations to Nikon designers/engineers... don't they get it? Sorry, this just completely baffles me. What kind of pro wouldn't want to put a D3x hi-res sensor module on a camera body, then take it off and snap on the D3s low-light sensor?

Maybe it's because if you buy a D3s and D3x, you've spent $12,000 (5K + 7K). Could they get as much profit out of a base body + two modules? Not sure. But it would give users more incentive to upgrade.

The modular system would also allow for unconventional uses. Wifi module, GPS module, 1TB hard drive module... I'm sure there's more.

Ricoh took a stab at the modular thing, but they attached the lens to the sensor module. I like how Ricoh made an attempt at market differentiation, and the Leica mount module looks good, but a Sony/Canon/Nikon one with lens compatibility... that'd be something.

I do enjoy reading his site... seems like he just gets it, and the camera makers don't. The latest front-page article is a good read, it's about how Panasonic gives Apple free advertising :)

Qarik: I think it'll be better than that :) I bet it'll have at least 2 stops better ISO performance.
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I would love to see a Nikon "DA" (a digital FA, though I'd be fine without the P and S modes): something with a very compact, sturdy body and easily accessed basic controls. Being able to replace the sensor only for a lower price would also be great (even if it required sending the camera into Nikon). I'd give up a lot of features for a less intimidating camera for street, landscape, and general-purpose photography. Of course I'd still want to see Nikon produce the "flagship" DSLRs for people that need the extra capabilities (wedding, sports, PJ, etc.), but for those of us who don't ever access 2/3 of the features, a smaller, more basic, yet high quality FX camera would be great.
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    All I want is a lock button (push-to-release) on the mode dial!!!!
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Brendan wrote: »
    Being able to replace the sensor only for a lower price would also be great (even if it required sending the camera into Nikon). I'd give up a lot of features for a less intimidating camera for street, landscape, and general-purpose photography. Of course I'd still want to see Nikon produce the "flagship" DSLRs for people that need the extra capabilities (wedding, sports, PJ, etc.), but for those of us who don't ever access 2/3 of the features, a smaller, more basic, yet high quality FX camera would be great.
    thumb.gif
    Yeah that is the other thing I forgot to put in my post. Actually making the sensor and filter into a single unit that could be easily changed out would not be that hard at all. All you would need is a system like AMD has for its CPUs or the Zero Insertion Force sockets. All you do is lift a lever and the socket shifts to unlock and put it down and it is locked. I personally see modular cameras as being the wave of the future. Being able to totally customize would serve the customer best and the first to implement it would get the market share. Or so I think.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/