Options

Significant Race Cars You've Never Seen

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited September 7, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I've written of Harry Miller before and shown you some of his more successful designs in race cars. The contributions of this man to the early American race scene cannot be over-stated. The following two cars are prime examples of his brilliance in automotive engineering. This man's works spanned 4 decades.....during the 20's, 30's, 40's, and into the 50's.

In 1937, a rear-engined race car tried to qualify for the Indy 500. It didn't make it. It caught the attention of the Gulf Oil Co., though, and they commissioned Harry Miller to build three rear-engined cars for the 1938 races. They weren't finished in time to qualify but they returned in 1939 to have a go of it. One of the three cars did qualify and became the very first rear-engined car to be a part of the Indy 500 race-day line-up.

This car had a number of interesting features....4 wheel drive among them. It was powered by a 6 cyl. supercharged engine. Note the very innovative design for such an application. Its fuel tank arrangement was also very different. It has two " pontoon " tanks....one running down each side. Note the gas filler-cap location. This tank arrangement didn't last long....several bad fires caused them to abandon this idea.

Amelia-2011-1-319-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-325-X2.jpg

Amelia-2011-1-322-X2.jpg

This next one is a 1923 Miller Special. The racing sanctioning bodies in the U.S. had adopted a standard of 2 liter engines. The engine in this car was dubbed the " 122 " by Miller and became the preferred engine for this type racing for many years. It was a straight 8 design featuring twin cams and a dry-sump oil system....made right at 200 HP. A car just like this one won the 1924 Indy 500. It was widely recognized as one of the most innovative designs of its day.

4. Amelia-2011-1-328-X2.jpg

5. Amelia-2011-1-327-X2.jpg

6. Amelia-2011-1-330-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Once again, wonderful vintage Automobiles, with all the great color and details
    so well done.

It's always so neat to see them, but also learning the History and the facts about them,
    really makes them even more Special.

Take care, and Give our Best to Darlene,

CK
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Howdy Tom

I love seeing the cars you present and reading the fascinating history behind them. These (as usual) are spectacular clap.gifclap 4 wheel drive huh? Bet that would be a blast up here in the snow during the winter (better than snowmobiling) :D

Be well

jack

PS The soft maples are beginning to turn up here. That invitation I extended to you and yours (when you showed me round St. Augustine) to pay me a visit still stands. The fall foliage in the Berkshires is outstanding.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Very interesting cars. You know me .. I don't know much about cars .. very little actually, but every time I see your photos I learn :D

The 2nd car .. kinda looks like a mini tractor converted to a car. No tread on the tires headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Once again, wonderful vintage Automobiles, with all the great color and details
    so well done.

It's always so neat to see them, but also learning the History and the facts about them,
    really makes them even more Special.

Take care, and Give our Best to Darlene,

CK

I'm really happy that you share my love of these cars, Craig. It's great when friends enjoy the same things. I've always appreciated your support.

Say hi to KK,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Howdy Tom

I love seeing the cars you present and reading the fascinating history behind them. These (as usual) are spectacular clap.gifclap 4 wheel drive huh? Bet that would be a blast up here in the snow during the winter (better than snowmobiling) :D

Be well

jack

PS The soft maples are beginning to turn up here. That invitation I extended to you and yours (when you showed me round St. Augustine) to pay me a visit still stands. The fall foliage in the Berkshires is outstanding.

I feel blessed to have exposure to the grand icons of motoring that I get from my travels to these top shows. Taking you folks along with me...so to speak...gives me a lot of pleasure.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work soon. Did any of that stuff you shot at the alligator farm rookery turn out to your satisfaction?

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Very interesting cars. You know me .. I don't know much about cars .. very little actually, but every time I see your photos I learn :D

The 2nd car .. kinda looks like a mini tractor converted to a car. No tread on the tires headscratch.gif

Well, Mary, I know that you know one very important thing about cars...." red is good ".:D

Pure racing tires seldom have tread patterns....excluding off-road racing. They refer to such tires as " slicks ". The top level of drag cars all run on slicks. F1 racers ( the top range of road racers ) race on slicks. The Nascar guys run slicks. However, all these cars...with the exception of the drag cars, which don't race in the rain...will switch to tires that do have tread patterns when it rains. The idea is that a slick tire provides the most rubber to the track...very important when you need the most traction you can get. A slick tire, though, and a wet track are a bad combination. When the track is wet, the tire needs some sort of grooving to allow the water to escape from under the tire.

I know you're ready for the first snowfall of the year.:D

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Well, Mary, I know that you know one very important thing about cars...." red is good ".:D

Pure racing tires seldom have tread patterns....excluding off-road racing. They refer to such tires as " slicks ". The top level of drag cars all run on slicks. F1 racers ( the top range of road racers ) race on slicks. The Nascar guys run slicks. However, all these cars...with the exception of the drag cars, which don't race in the rain...will switch to tires that do have tread patterns when it rains. The idea is that a slick tire provides the most rubber to the track...very important when you need the most traction you can get. A slick tire, though, and a wet track are a bad combination. When the track is wet, the tire needs some sort of grooving to allow the water to escape from under the tire.

I know you're ready for the first snowfall of the year.:D

Take care,

Tom

Thank you for the info on 'slicks'. Never knew that. See .. I learn something every time you post your car photos :D

Yes ... I do love red cars wings.gif

Snow ... That's a love/hate kind of relationship rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    :D I can only imagine what a ride. Different kind of crotch rocket has been on my mind thumb.gif
    Must have been quite a task to drive. Thinking firm and direct. Interesting tread on on the tires.
    Have no idea what thats about but i could suppose a little. Nice pics outlining things straight forward as they are. Your taking us back to an intriguing history on theme with shots is always so worth consideration and further ponderings towards things of today in the motoring world. Very nice as always.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    :D I can only imagine what a ride. Different kind of crotch rocket has been on my mind thumb.gif
    Must have been quite a task to drive. Thinking firm and direct. Interesting tread on on the tires.
    Have no idea what thats about but i could suppose a little. Nice pics outlining things straight forward as they are. Your taking us back to an intriguing history on theme with shots is always so worth consideration and further ponderings towards things of today in the motoring world. Very nice as always.

Thanks much, Michael, for the kind words.

Been thinking of a motorcycle, have you, brother? If so, please ride on RED ALERT....as if everyone's out there to kill you.

Tom