Options

China Town SF

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited September 6, 2011 in Journeys
So I decided to take a break from shooting model photos and take some time for myself. I went to San Francisco which is 20 min from me and walked around China Town. Love that area of SF.

So after getting out my car. I saw a homeless man under his blanket next to a woman's clothing store. I stopped for a minute to take a pic of this, I found it to be interesting as far as being well off $ vs Poor.
SFSept311-nwm-2-L.jpg

After entering China Town, this brick building and it's fire Escape stairs caught my eye.
SFSept311-nwm-4-L.jpg

I setup my tripod to take some long exposure shots. I was by one of the many restaurants in China Town where a lady was outside trying to motion tourists to some great chinese food.
SFSept311-nwm-7-L.jpg

Another long exposure shot facing down one of the streets in China Town, you can see the Ferry building the distance.
SFSept311-nwm-10-L.jpg

One of several Alleys in China Town, probably my favorite, cause it's creepy lol.
SFSept311-nwm-12-L.jpg

Another shot from that alley, but up towards one of the apartment windows, I just loved the lighting.
SFSept311-nwm-13-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited September 4, 2011
    Stairs leading up to one of the restaurants in China Town.
    SFSept311-nwm-19-L.jpg

Last one for the night. I wanted to take a photo of an older gentleman crouching down near a wall with some interesting writing and drawing, but he said "no picture" So when I was leaving I noticed this scooter parked along the entrance of a former restaurant and it was strange to see these stickers placed all over the wall.

SFSept311-nwm-26-L.jpg
  • Options
    ArtlifeArtlife Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    It looks like the kids are all playing (in the scenery). I can't be sure but I think their names are all on the walls too. Can't tell if the images are die-cut or cut by hand. Interesting. You say former restaurant, wonder what it is now.
    Thanks for sharing some great photos.

DL http://www.artlife.us/
  • Options
    0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    1. Great idea.. I'm not sure which part of this image is in focus. Would we know what we were looking at without the caption?
    2. This has a funny color cast, also the horizontals and verticals aren't horizontal or vertical. I take a lot of this kind of image and I like them.
    3. My eye is telling me that the verticals are off a little with this, also I'm not really sure what the focus of the image is. What are you trying to show the viewer?
    4. I like this the best. I wouldn't have noticed the ferry building without the caption. Perhaps a smaller aperture or different focus to bringthis out more.
    5. I like alleys but your composition isn't showing me anything
    6. I think this was a night spot and you're right the light is highlighting the window which is generating some interest.
    7. Kind of lost on me this one..
    8. This is interesting. I think I'd like to see the stickers in sharper focus..

Congrats on getting out there and grabbing these shots. Too often inertia keeps me rooted to the sofa! China town is great, work out what it means to you and what you'd like to show your viewer. On a general note I find your watermark a little distracting.. it's very large..

Thanks for sharing,all comments IMHO of course..
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2011
    Thank You. Yeah when shooting at night the focus can be difficult if you don't have much light to work with.

last time I actually took time to go out and take night photograph pictures was over a year ago!! :0
  • Options
    ArtlifeArtlife Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    justin24 wrote: »
    Thank You. Yeah when shooting at night the focus can be difficult if you don't have much light to work with.

last time I actually took time to go out and take night photograph pictures was over a year ago!! :0
    After reading the other comment I wanted add another lol
    #7 I really like this. The progression from the fully textured at the top to down to just the stripes across at the bottom, with the varying shading and blue and texture I find very interesting. What I would do is crop so you do not see the rails, just steps, so it is about light and color and texture and not stairs.
    The long street view the building in the distance really catches my eye. I would not have known what building it was, but it is bright and clear to me.
    The creepy alley has several interesting points and perhaps is several shots rather than one. If you can go back I think there would be a few images- the sky against the fire escapes, the long wall on the right, etc.

Thanks again for sharing some interesting imagery.

DL http://www.artlife.us