Motorbikes Demonstation - Kawerau Woodskills Festival

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited September 10, 2011 in Sports
At the Kawerau Woodskills Festival this weekend there was Motorbike Demonstration. Not photographed this type of event before, so any comments on what should do to improve the pictures would be most appreciated.

Should I try to edit out/blur the background, or is it better leaving in to give context?
#1 - Motorbike going over Logs
[IMG][/img]C201109031004592MotorbikeoverL-L.jpg

(Shot: f18, 1/250, ISO 400)
#2 - Motorbike going over Tyres
[IMG][/img]C201109031004613MotorbikeoffTy-L.jpg

(Shot: f10, 1/250, ISO 100)
#3 - Jumping Motorbike over 5 people
[IMG][/img]C201109031004634MotorbikeJumpi-L.jpg

(Shot: f7.1, 1/500, ISO 100)

Had switched Camera to the Sports mode, using high speed multishot to shoot multiple shots as the Motorbike jumped over the people.
Shutter speed not quite stopped the Motorbike, but does this actually add to the photo?

Shooting using a Canon 60D, with 18-55mm Kit Lens.

All critique and comments be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    great shots of the announcer...(just kidding)

You might like to consider picking a cleaner background before you set up to shoot

The convention is to stop the bike, yet have the spokes blurred. It looks like you didn't pan; since the background is so sharp

You have found the weakness of preset modes
    Rags
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    I think you did a great job on these seeing this for the first time. You have the right idea. I like the perspective on #2.

Clean backgrounds are almost impossible in this type of event.
    Moto trials is very slow. Showing motion blur, unless it is some artsy shot is not a really good thing. I like to see razor sharp images with the bike and rider at interesting angles.

So to improve these next time. Use a wider aperture to isolate the subject from the busy background. Make sure the riders are in focus. And speed up your shutter. 1/2000 I think is about ideal. Or slow it down a lot more to really show some panning and wheel spin. This is really tough in trials. 1/125 and lower will make this happen.
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, and tips on the aperture and shutter speeds to use.

Appreciate knowing on the right track - next time will try for better background, though difficult as a spectator and having to watch angle of sun, etc.