Upgrade from Canon 40D

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited September 5, 2011 in Cameras
OK, I think my trusty Canon 40D bit the dust in the rain last night. I'm going to take it to a camera shop tomorrow to see about getting it repaired. In the meantime, I'm figuring I might as well upgrade and use the 40D (if it can be repaired at the right price) as a backup.

What camera do you suggest upgrading to?

I mainly shoot events so very few portraits, landscapes, etc. I've got a small collection of decent lenses and money is an issue. The 40D I have (the one that's FUBARBED) was bought used in February, and for economic reasons, I'm looking to buy used with the upgrade.

Hopefully this is enough info to "help you help me", but if not, I'll be glad to asnewr any questions!

Thanks
Jerry
www.smugmug.meesoon.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 5, 2011
    It sounds like you might be happy with another used Canon 40D.

Adorama has several available as does KEH. B&H has 1 with a 28-135mm lens.

Always check our own Flea Market too. (I did not see any just now.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Or a used 50D. It has a few things that the 40D does not, like microadjustment and higher resolution. There was a lot of fuss about supposedly greater noise compared to the 40D, but the reviews I read suggested that any difference is slight, and my experience is that the camera is very low-noise at 100 and 200.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Yep, 40D or 50D, or 7D if you can wing it. The 50D has a few advantages over the 40D, and if you get it through the Canon Loyalty Program it's not that expensive. I've also heard the screen is much better, but I haven't used it myself. Both screens are 3", but the 50D's has 920K dots, while the 40D's has 230K.

The 7D has its advantages and would probably be the best crop option, but it's over $1000. If you can afford it, it may be worth it.

Best places to buy are the Loyalty Program, DGrin Flea Market or other online forum, or online stores like Adorama or KEH. Usually you pay more with the stores because they have to make money, but they also guarantee a safe transaction... you don't have to be on your toes like when you buy from an individual.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    If you shoot events mostly, then I really do think that having two cameras is THE most important thing you can consider. Especially at a wedding or anything else "once in a lifetime", if those are the types of events you shoot.

As others have said, it just depends on what you shoot and how you feel about your current setup. A pair of 40D's might suit you perfectly well.

Personally, I'd prefer to recommend a 7D or something, for event photojournalism. For events, it's usually all about two things- focus tracking, and low-light performance. That's it. So, short of recommending a $2000 used 1D mk3, try to swing a 7D if you can. But rest assured, I'd rather have two 40D's than a single 7D or 5-series, at an important event. As a portrait or landscape photographer it'd be a completely different story, but for events it is critical to get a backup in your bag.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum