Options

Green Screen - Action Shots?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited September 5, 2011 in Technique
If I set up my green screen with the lighting and the athlete far enough away form the screen to avoid shadows, can I have the athlete jump in the shot and be OK?

I am shooting basketball players and cheerleaders a week from today. Can I have the cheerleaders jump in the shot or the ballplayers jump and the masking will be OK?

I have only been to one green screen shoot and the players were stationary.

I of course know that video is frequently done so I guess if I set things up correctly, I should be OK. I only have a 9'x20' background. If I am going to have the subject jump, I will have to have plenty of the background in height and I wouldn't have as much on the ground. But since they will be jumping, I think I can get the shot so the ground isn't in the shot. I will obviously just need to have my shutter speed faster to avoid blur.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Actually, I am going to be using pocket wizards so I will only be able to shoot at 1/250 for my max sync speed. Hopefully the flash will freeze the action to avoid blur.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Do you plan on shooting with the studio strobes or speed lights? Ether way set up the flash to fire at the fastest (shortest) duration. ensure the ambient light in not contributing to the exposure.

You can also shoot with a longer lens. The compression effect will keep the athletes within the green screen background.

You can also think about rolling up the green screen material off the floor so the athletes have good firm footing for jumps. Since your shooting somewhat parallel to the ground you wont need the green screen on the floor for jumping shots.

Sam
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Are you suing the white Lightning 1800's....??

Might ask Paul C. Buff himself for ideas.....I do alot since I have only used his studio lights for many years.

those 1800's should have more than enuff power to stop a jump at shutter of 250......a shutter of 60 is supposed to stop action with flash.

I don't do green screen shoots.....sorry........but I have been pondering of only having green or blue screen and just doing digital backgrounds only........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website