Playing around...

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited October 25, 2005 in People
This is a shot I took a year ago that I've been playing with today. First, the original:

8169994-M.jpg

Here's what I did today. I was looking at Todd Johnson's Wedding Photography site and wanted to play around with similar looks. What do you all think? Drek? Something to it? Too gimmicky? If it's a good direction, how could I make it better? BTW, it took me 9 layers to get here...and it was fun...

40225799-M.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is a shot I took a year ago that I've been playing with today. First, the original:

Here's what I did today. I was looking at Todd Johnson's Wedding Photography site and wanted to play around with similar looks. What do you all think? Drek? Something to it? Too gimmicky? If it's a good direction, how could I make it better? BTW, it took me 9 layers to get here...and it was fun...

40225799-M.jpg
    Care to tell us what those 9 layers are? mwink.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    Care to tell us what those 9 layers are? mwink.gif

Sure, but first you have to tell me what you think ;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I think it is excellent! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
    edited October 16, 2005
    OK, since Dean stroked my ego, I'll fill you in on my 9-layer recipe.

I still want feedback, though...

Anyway, here's the layers:

40238945-L.jpg

The first three layers were created when I ran an action that I made based on the B/W conversion tutorial on Greg Gorman's site. The bottom layer is a grayscale image made from the Luminosity channel in Lab. The layer above that is the color that I chose to blend with the black, in this case a dark orange/brown. That layer is set to blend in Multiply mode, as per the conversion ala Gorman. The curves above are very simple, just adding a touch more contrast, as per my taste.

The layer above, labeled "Layer 2" is the original image (full color), normal blend, 30% opacity.

"Layer 2 Copy" (the one above) is the original, color image, in Soft Light blending mode, 30% opacity.

The Hue/Sat adjustment layer boosts the saturation 20%.

I used Levels 1 to crush the blacks heavily, making it way to dark, then masked it out of all but a touch in the corners. There's probably a million ways to add vignetting, but that's how I did it.

The next layer is a merge of all the layers below. I option clicked "Merge Visible" in the layers pulldown menu to make a new layer that looked like all the rest below it. Then I blurred the heck out of it, and applied a mask and painted away the blur to taste.

The top curves was used to dial back in some contrast that had gotten lost along the way.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    David the action is nice but I am curious as to why you would want to fool with the original I think it is great as is..You daughter is so photogenic and you always do such a great job capturing her personality..
    edited October 16, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    David the action is nice but I am curious as to why you would want to fool with the original I think it is great as is..You daughter is so photogenic and you always do such a great job capturing her personality..

Thanks for the feedback. I'm stuck home with a bum back, and I was admiring the work of Todd Johnson (link above), and felt like playing. I like the original. I like this one, too, but wanted an objective opinion. I've been staring at it too long.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    David!
    The original photo is perfect and, I think, it doesnt need any additional work.
    But...
    Maybe
    1) crop only faces with some space to the right
    and (maybe)
    2) try to turn to b&w ...
    Great poses, super models! (Say 'priviet' to them :-)
    Yuri
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    I agree with Yuri-nono.gifnono.gifnono.gifnono.gifDon't mess with perfection-tho playing in PS is fun..................Mereimage
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    I do like the effect although I'm not keen on the colours, but I'm afraid I agree with the others :D The original is just excellent!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Im with gubbsy...its a great shot just as it is thumb.gif
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Of course, there is no accounting for taste, but for me an excellent photo has been transformed into something exceptional, something that makes the eye linger. Thanks very much for showing the details, which I have enjoyed playing with.

Dan
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
    edited October 17, 2005
    Thanks all for the comments. Yeah, it was fun to play with, especially since I was stuck in with the bad back.

I appreciate the feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • HarrisonHarrison Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Aw, heck, I like BOTH shots!

Having worked with Photoshop in one form or other since '89 or so, I really appreciate it as a creative tool. While the original was awesome, it's still fun to experiment! Sometimes I like to give a client a choice of both original and PS-enhanced photos as an option, which only increases our flexibility as photographers.

So I say: Awesome job on BOTH shots!!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    The composition and sharpness of the basic shot is really nice. I can see how you'd want to play. What if you just use your newfound LAB knowledge and make the original look as good as you can do now?
    If not now, when?
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    I agree with everyone that the original was excellent.

I also like the rework, not as a replacment, but as a seperate work. I think the girls glow with a tone that makes them look angelic to me. I like it.