High Sierra Backcountry

dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited September 23, 2011 in Landscapes
Just returned from a backpack trip into the High Country of Yosemite. I can confirm that flowers still in bloom. It was gorgeous out. Took my 10 y/o son out there for his first backpack trip in the Sierra. We had a great time.

28Aug116061A3-XL.jpg

28Aug116103A2-XL.jpg

29Aug116119A-XL.jpg

29Aug116144A-XL.jpg

Comments

• BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    You have some very nice shots here! I really like #2, the composition with the tent and stars looks great! The last one is really nice as well!!!
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    nice shots - #3 looks like you have "selective coloring" but it really isn't. very well captured! :)
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Great set! #2 & 3 are just fantastic.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 5, 2011
    Awesome shots! I really like 3&4
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Very nice! Looks familiar, where were you?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 5, 2011
    Very nice shots, Derek. The illuminated peak on #3 is a real eye catcher. I'd love to know how you motivate a 10 y/o to go backpacking. I can barely get my two 10 y/o's out for a day hike, and even then they're whining half the time. Congrats on what looks like a great trip. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »

Thanks Andy,

This is the Young Lakes trail out of Tuolome Meadows. Its ~ 6.5 miles to the lower lake at 10K elevation.
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Love the night shot!
    edited September 5, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Very nice shots, Derek. The illuminated peak on #3 is a real eye catcher. I'd love to know how you motivate a 10 y/o to go backpacking. I can barely get my two 10 y/o's out for a day hike, and even then they're whining half the time. Congrats on what looks like a great trip. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Hey Joel,

Good to see you over here on dgrin! Honestly I've been draggin' em along on hikes since before they could walk via backpack carriers, etc... But my oldest son is naturally more self-motivated and interested than my younger girls to do the rigerous hikes/backpacks. He's the one that wants to go higher and further than anyone else typically. There's something about the challenge that gives him a charge.

With some coaxing I can get all three of them, the youngest included to do some pretty rigerous hiking in Big Sur. Here's one of our favorites at Garrapta's Rocky Ridge trail:

http://www.redwoodhikes.com/Big%20Sur/Garrapata.html

It's really steep climbing from the road below but with beautiful views which make it worth it. I think my 5 y/o daughter at the time was the yougest to climb up to the bench overlook.

25Apr114395ACr-XL.jpg

Taking plenty of little breaks with them is key along with a big dose of patience. :D

25Apr114418A2Rt-XL.jpg
    edited September 6, 2011
    Awesome shots! That looks like a great park, maybe that'll be our next outing. I had the kids out at Castle Rock State Park today and we hiked about 5 miles. They had a grand time playing on the rocks, scared me a few times. Laughing.gif. I probably could improve on the patience department too. :uhoh
    edited September 6, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome shots! That looks like a great park, maybe that'll be our next outing. I had the kids out at Castle Rock State Park today and we hiked about 5 miles. They had a grand time playing on the rocks, scared me a few times. Laughing.gif. I probably could improve on the patience department too. :uhoh

Garrapta is actually a place you will come back to for a variety of great photo ops with and without the kiddos. It's an epic loation for seascape scenery, especially in the winter when the waves are large! But it can get very dangerous. So be careful if you come down then. Contact me beforehand if you want and I can give a local's inside scoop.

1140077813_Lh54p-XL.jpg
    edited September 6, 2011
    Wow, now we're talkin'. :wow
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Wonderful shots-really like the star shot with the tent. Looks like lots of fun with your kids.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Thanks Andy,

This is the Young Lakes trail out of Tuolome Meadows. Its ~ 6.5 miles to the lower lake at 10K elevation.

Young Lakes is one of my favorite spots, when I was able to backpack.

Did you get to the other lakes?
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    You've got a lot amazing pictures Derek! love those pics of your kids... Good thing you've got to spend so much time with them, coz they grow up so fast. I hope you can spare me some Patience as well :) need that for my kids too. :)
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Boy - that's exactly what I thought....

Nice pics. I spent some time near there a few weeks back climbing Mt. Whitney - love being up in the Sierras.
  • jeremy_danieljeremy_daniel Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Derek,

Great shots and great area to explore and backpack and photograph. I really love #2 and #3 both well done!
    Jeremy Daniel Photography
    NANPA Member
    Student Photography Society
    Gear: Nikon D700 SB-600 18-55mm 10-20mm 70-300mm
    Wildlife * People * Landscapes * HDR
    edited September 6, 2011
    Young Lakes is one of my favorite spots, when I was able to backpack.

Did you get to the other lakes?

Mike, we headed up to the upper Young lakes as well. But we didn't venture beyond that point. There was plenty to keep us occupied, especially on a first trip. What a beautiful location off the beaten path. Most folks were headed in the other direction south toward Cathedral Peak and lakes which also decends into the Valley.

I really like your website BTW, and found your travelogue helpful.

Thanks,
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Mike, we headed up to the upper Young lakes as well. But we didn't venture beyond that point. There was plenty to keep us occupied, especially on a first trip. What a beautiful location off the beaten path. Most folks were headed in the other direction south toward Cathedral Peak and lakes which also decends into the Valley.

I really like your website BTW, and found your travelogue helpful.

Thanks,

I think I've been there about 5 times!

Glad you enjoyed my other site. I just wish I was "into" photography when I could backpack...Laughing.gif!
  • KerrBearKerrBear Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2011
    I think #1 is awesome! That stream is so beautiful.