Blessings,
Marjohn

Images of Him Photography

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    rust-M.jpg

This image has a lot of potential.
    I'd like to see a whole lot more contrast and lower brightness here, as well as a major bump in blue and red saturation. Go ahead...get WILD

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2011
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    I'd like to see a whole lot more contrast and lower brightness here, as well as a major bump in blue and red saturation. Go ahead...get WILD
    15524779-Ti.gif

Rust deserves heavier treatment than this!

Go for it!

Rust Rules

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    This is my first and only time to shoot rust... I will play with this tonight and see what I can come up with based on your suggestions... Thanks a million!

DonRicklin wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Go for it!

Rust Rules

Don
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Don and Jack are giving you good direction. Turn this image loose and you'll probably be surprised at what changes you'll see. Shooting rust becomes addictive when you start to explore its real potential.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited September 6, 2011
    Okay... here's what I did...

Brightness -78
    Contrast +76
    Red +70
    Blue +64

Am I on the right track? Why is it that I like the blues to be a little brighter... is that taboo? Please guide me... I'm lost! Oh, after I did this one, I played with upping the clarity and luminance... is that a no-no or do you want me to post that one too?
    Again, thanks so much!!

Rustredo-1-M.jpg
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

edited September 6, 2011
    For my money, this second effort is a big improvement. Keep in mind, though, just how subjective this whole issue is. People who are not true RUST JUNKIES feel that we go way overboard with our PP work. Those of us who are real hardcore about this, however, feel that there are no limits. As Jack said in his recent post on rust, it's amazing what happens to colors when you get real aggressive with the sliders.

In the final analysis, it's what you like that really matters. I suggest you play around, get your image to a point your comfortable with, and then quit. There are no real guidelines to steer you. Generally speaking, though, really go strong on saturation, sharpening, color control....and just about anything else that brings the magic to the surface.

Good luck,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited September 6, 2011
    Okay... I played a bit more and this is what I like... It may be a little too green, but I think the aqua is what makes it pretty. What are your thoughts?

Rustredo-2-M.jpg
    For my money, this second effort is a big improvement. Keep in mind, though, just how subjective this whole issue is. People who are not true RUST JUNKIES feel that we go way overboard with our PP work. Those of us who are real hardcore about this, however, feel that there are no limits. As Jack said in his recent post on rust, it's amazing what happens to colors when you get real aggressive with the sliders.

In the final analysis, it's what you like that really matters. I suggest you play around, get your image to a point your comfortable with, and then quit. There are no real guidelines to steer you. Generally speaking, though, really go strong on saturation, sharpening, color control....and just about anything else that brings the magic to the surface.

Good luck,

Tom
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

edited September 6, 2011
    Now you're cooking. The image is now coming alive. Again, there is no such thing as " Too green ", "Too blue ", or " Too " anything else. Rust gives us wonderful palates to work with....we just have to explore the depths and find out what's hidden beneath the facade.

Tom
  • TUeltzenTUeltzen Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    I like it. The green almost looks like it is bubbling.
    Tim
    Washington, Missouri

www.PetPhotoKeepSake.com
    edited September 10, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Go for it!

Rust Rules

Don
    Don and Jack are giving you good direction. Turn this image loose and you'll probably be surprised at what changes you'll see. Shooting rust becomes addictive when you start to explore its real potential.

Tom
    TUeltzen wrote: »
    I like it. The green almost looks like it is bubbling.

Thanks guys---for the suggestions, the encouragement and the compliments. It was all very appreciated. I think I might try to find more rust to shoot!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

• marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    [QUOTE=DonRicklin;

Don[/QUOTE]
    Nearly vertical RGB curve

images.jpg
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    ... is that taboo?
    I don't think there's any taboo in abstracts. I personally don't think there're many editing taboos in most of photography, but I might be in a minority there.
    edited September 11, 2011
    marionet wrote: »
    Nearly vertical RGB curve

images.jpg

WOOZER! That's HEAVY! I like that the "hidden" colors are now visible. Thanks for a new perspective!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn