A Lazy Holiday At The Beach

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited September 7, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Porpoise-Point-002-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

That certainly looks like a Great Way to spend a day,
    heck a week would be wonderful.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Nothing is better then sitting on a beach fishing and reading a good book.

I envy you ... I'd love to go to the beach :D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

That certainly looks like a Great Way to spend a day,
    heck a week would be wonderful.

I hear you, brother. Sometimes I know I take for granted the wonderful offerings of our area. If I were to turn around 180 degrees from my shooting position in this photo, I would be looking directly across the bay ( Intracoastal Waterway ) to St. Augustine. This is my favorite beach to go to because you have to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to it....making it much less populated than other beach areas around. To my right in this photo, is an inlet connecting the Atlantic Ocean ( the waters in the distance ) to the St. Augustine bay area.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited September 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nothing is better then sitting on a beach fishing and reading a good book.

I envy you ... I'd love to go to the beach :D

Well, Mary, I can tell you that the surf fishing along this stretch of beach is usually very good. And reading a good book while relaxing there is one of Darlene's favorite pastimes. Almost every weekend, we try to get in a walk of about 5 miles along the shore....Winter and Summer.

Tom
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 6, 2011
    Lovely scene, Tom, but looks a little flat. I think it could benefit by a levels and curves adjustment.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    This is Tom Joel. Less is more. rolleyes1.gifBeach time is laze time. No PP. As per usual. :D
    Michael
    edited September 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Lovely scene, Tom, but looks a little flat. I think it could benefit by a levels and curves adjustment.

You're most likely right, Joel. Just about any PP I could have done would have helped mitigate the effect of the high, overhead sun. But since this was just a quick shot to let you folks know the terrible conditions I had to endure on Labor Day, it received my usual PP regimen....which is zero.

I wish you could have been there with me, Joel. It's a terrible thing when a man has to finish off a bucket of beer all by himself.:D

Take care buddy,

Tom
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    If I were to turn around 180 degrees from my shooting position in this photo, I would be looking directly across the bay ( Intracoastal Waterway ) to St. Augustine. This is my favorite beach to go to because you have to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to it....making it much less populated than other beach areas around. To my right in this photo, is an inlet connecting the Atlantic Ocean ( the waters in the distance ) to the St. Augustine bay area.

Sounds Awesome! Maybe you could do a 360 degree panarama image of the whole scene.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
    edited September 7, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    This is Tom Joel. Less is more. rolleyes1.gifBeach time is laze time. No PP. As per usual. :D

Well, Michael, you've sure got me pegged.:D I used to rationalize my approach to minimal ( or even non-existent ) PP work by all sorts of psychological reasoning.....until I decided to face the truth, I'm just too darn lazy. Unless I'm dealing with a picture of rust, the sliders just don't get much of a workout around here.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    edited September 7, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    Sounds Awesome! Maybe you could do a 360 degree panarama image of the whole scene.

Thanks a lot for looking in, Keith.

As you may have gathered, any sort of extensive PP work is a stretch for me. But the thought of trying to set up and orchestrate a full 360 degree panorama shot has put me in full gallop toward the wine cellar.

You're right, of course. This setting would be perfect for such a shot. I've got a friend who could easily do it....she's very accomplished at panorama shooting. I'll see if I can get her to give it a go.

Tom
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Quite lovely! What beach is this? And driving your vehicle on to the beach - gosh does that make it ever so much better! No lugging 90lbs of stuff 19 blocks up hills both ways - love it!
    edited September 7, 2011
    brvheart wrote: »
    Quite lovely! What beach is this? And driving your vehicle on to the beach - gosh does that make it ever so much better! No lugging 90lbs of stuff 19 blocks up hills both ways - love it!

In this shot, I'm at the extreme southern tip of Vilano Beach, FL...which is located on a long, narrow island separated from the mainland by the Intracoastal Waterway. More specifically, I'm at a particular area known locally as Porpoise Point. When we were younger, it was a great place to watch submarine races.:D

As you so well point out, being able to drive on the beach makes all the difference in the world for ease of access.
  • kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    But the thought of trying to set up and orchestrate a full 360 degree panorama shot has put me in full gallop toward the wine cellar
    Laughing.gif roger that.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Well, Mary, I can tell you that the surf fishing along this stretch of beach is usually very good. And reading a good book while relaxing there is one of Darlene's favorite pastimes. Almost every weekend, we try to get in a walk of about 5 miles along the shore....Winter and Summer.

Tom

Now I'm really envious .. walking a beach in the winter :cry

Enjoy your walks .. they are one of life's beautiful pleasures. Nothing is better then natures music (waves rolling in) to accompany you.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Nice sand Tom. Sand is one of the things which determines the enjoyment of a beach. Clean, wide, fine and golden, with no footprints or wheel tracks is just about perfect.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix