Options

How To: using Rokinon 500mm f8.0 High Definition Telephoto lense

kleatuskleatus Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 13, 2013 in Accessories
I own a Rokinon Digital 500mm f8.0 High Definition Telephoto lense. I can mount it on the camera chasis.
It clicks and locks in. When I attempt to capture an image, An error message appears on the LCD display,
which reads:
" Lens Not attached".

What must I do to configure both pieces to work together?:D

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    What camera is it? Also, am I correct in inferring that the camera won't let you take a shot? Because on my camera, you can take a shot with no lens attached. I think all DSLRs have this option, or at least most of them, because if they didn't you wouldn't be able to use old manual lenses, nor could you hold up a lens to the mount and take a shot.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited September 6, 2011
    "Lens Not attached" appears to be a Nikon message?

Your profile shows that you have a Nikon D60. Is that the camera issuing the message?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    GeordiePGeordieP Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2011
    Rokinon 500mm Lens
    Hi Kleatus,

I own one of these lens and all I do is set it to M for Manual and away you go. It's the only setting that recognises the lens. BTW, I use a D50 and D3000 - no dramas!
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2011
    Some of the Nikon D series did not allow you to take pics without a lens, hope its not yours, you may find some info, either in the manual or check out the lensbaby site, they work the same way and if i remember they had a compatability chart. I have a D90, and i get the error but can still shoot in manual.

Welcome and good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2011
    I believe if it's in any auto mode, with an AI/S type lens, you'll get this error. Are you on manual mode when you try and use this lens?
  • Options
    GodgivesbeauyGodgivesbeauy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    "Lens Not attached" appears to be a Nikon message?

Your profile shows that you have a Nikon D60. Is that the camera issuing the message?

Hi Ziggy.... saw your post. Maybe you can help me. I sure hope so. I have the D60, the Rokinon 500mm f8.0 and I get the lens not attached message as well. Therefore it will not allow a shot. BUT it will shoot in manual, but doesn't record to the sd. I have since verified the camera will record with other lenses. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

thanks.
    Godgivesbeauy (should be beauty!)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited June 13, 2013
    Hi Ziggy.... saw your post. Maybe you can help me. I sure hope so. I have the D60, the Rokinon 500mm f8.0 and I get the lens not attached message as well. Therefore it will not allow a shot. BUT it will shoot in manual, but doesn't record to the sd. I have since verified the camera will record with other lenses. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

thanks.
    Godgivesbeauy (should be beauty!)

I believe that you need to use both Manual Focus mode and either Manual metering mode or Aperture Priority metering mode on the camera.

See pages 61-62 of your User Manual for how to set up for manual focus (MF), or download a PDF copy from Nikon here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D60_ennoprint.pdf

I suspect that you already know how to set Manual metering mode and Aperture Priority metering mode. If not, see pages 39-46 of the user manual. (I don't believe that metering will work with that lens on a D60, but at least you should be able to fire the shutter.)

I believe that focus confirmation "should" work, with an audible beep (if turned on) and visual indication in the viewfinder.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums