Sideways

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 8, 2011 in People
I had an odd dream last night, kind of mild on the weirdo scale for me however...

Well, in this dream, I could only see out of one eye. The thing is though, I only saw half of everything. One side was lit, the other was dark. It gets a bit stranger. I carried around a mirror and I would hold it up to an object to see it as a whole... you know, the reflection in the mirror would complete the second half.

The dream inspired the following shots. I was going to do these in B&W, my original thought was that they really lend themselves to it, but after seeing these, I prefer them in color. I think the tonal values are much more appealing.

Hope you like these. Not your conventional portrait but I like them:

Tethered-Test-005-Edit-X2.jpg

Tethered-Test-015-Edit-X2.jpg

Tethered-Test-019-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Interesting. I really like this set. I guess it's just me.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Wellllll.....they are kind of interesting. Your model doesn't look very into it which kind of takes away from the artistic effect....then it becomes just an exercise in lighting.
    Maybe if she was making a silly face or sticking her tongue out at you....fun shots with creative lighting :).
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    She has her eyes closed in #2... that's kind of like making a face, no?

OK... so from a lighting perspective, does this work? I know it's non-conventional and must be used creatively but giving the right image, I kind of like it.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Well for me....I like 1.
    The mirror image lighting not so much for a portrait like this....but like you said...maybe with some types of fashion type shots it would probably work.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    looks like you achieved what you set out to do for sure, so major thumb.gifthumbthumb.giffor that...i had to figure out if you actually had a mirror or mirrored the image in post.

I'm not sure its the most flattering lighting pattern? ne_nau.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    I like #1. Dramatic effect and well done.

The others are just too strong with the sidelighting (I know you are working with your new strips) in order to light the central portion of her face.
    edited September 7, 2011
    Cool. Like I said, just goofing around. The dream kind of tripped me out. Maybe I got some contact high from living in California with all our pot-heads around these parts. :D.

I'm going to try same lighting but add a 3rd light as fill. Maybe beauty didsh from above. Play around with the light ratios.

My Smug Site
    edited September 7, 2011
    BTW, my wife hated the last two. I should have taken that as a sign.

My Smug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Number two for me! clap.gifclap

Sam
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I like the "Meet the Beatles" lighting in # 1.

I can't comment intelligently on the others. I'm not crazy about them BUT they look like you got exactly what you were going for so you did well. It may just be that this idea would not have occurred to me.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I'm going to go with LOVE IT!!! Awesome work. Really clean, simple, and beautiful. I agree that those changes in color/tone need to be there - it would have much less of an impact in BW.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!