Metallic Green Fly (I think, it's a Soldier Fly)

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited September 8, 2011 in Holy Macro
Quite possibly Microchrysa polita or Exaireta spinigera from my googling about but I'm not absolutely certain. It was about 1cm in length, maybe 1.2cm. Either way, it's the first time I've ever seen a fly like this. I thought it was a species of hoverfly at first.

Anyway, It was blowing a gale outside but decided to have a nose around the garden. I spotted this fly on a bush in the garden but it took off almost immediately. Having then photographed the Fly and Leafhopper (in the other thread), I went back over the other side of the garden and spotted this fly again, sitting on a leaf on one of our privit bushes. I had to try and twist the stem of leaves around, hold it still, whilst holding the camera in my other hand unsupported. THEN, to try and get a sharp shot hand held whilst everything was blowing about :D... these were pretty much the best I could do. Have cropped them a touch up closer because the backgrounds were pretty mundane.

The hotspot on the back is very frustrating but I had rather little time. Would have softened my flash a little more but didn't think the fly would stick around for long

IMG5160.jpg

IMG5169.jpg

IMG5162.jpg

Comments