D300s Depth Of Field Preview Button

cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 10, 2011 in Cameras
Just purchased a D300s .. when viewing the scene thru the view finder is dark .. but when I depress the Depth of Field Preview Button it becomes visible and am able to shoot the image . It quickly retreats to the dark screen and again I repeat the process .. any thoughts as to the problem:dunno

Comments

• SandSand Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Sounds like a problem with the aperture control communication between the camera and the lens. You have probably already done this but:
    verify that the lens is locked at its widest aperature,
    remove and re-attach the lens,
    try another lens,
    clean the contacts (on the lens and the camera),
    curse at it,
    wait for a better answer.
    Sorry, that's all that I can think of.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Wait, is it dark when you are holding down? If so, this is perfectly normal, as it closes the aperture to the selected value to give an idea of DoF.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    cape cod wrote: »
    Just purchased a D300s .. when viewing the scene thru the view finder is dark .. but when I depress the Depth of Field Preview Button it becomes visible and am able to shoot the image . It quickly retreats to the dark screen and again I repeat the process .. any thoughts as to the problemne_nau.gif
    What aperture are your settings at when it is dark. Normally what ever lens you have on should be wide open the DOF button closes down the aperture to selected setting. What you are saying it is in the reverse on you camera. Does it matter whether you are in P A S or M. Is this a new camera or used? I have never experienced this on my D300. Might need green button reset. I dont know if it is possible to reverse that function.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Sounds backwards, mine gets dark when I press the depth of field preview button....which I never use, but did try it a couple times.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    What aperture are your settings at when it is dark. Normally what ever lens you have on should be wide open the DOF button closes down the aperture to selected setting. What you are saying it is in the reverse on you camera. Does it matter whether you are in P A S or M. Is this a new camera or used? I have never experienced this on my D300. Might need green button reset. I dont know if it is possible to reverse that function.
    Yeah I had mine do that on my D type lenses before. I have cleaned the contacts on both the body and lenses and havent had it happen since.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Gave UP
    ne_nau.gif
    insanefred wrote: »
    Wait, is it dark when you are holding down? If so, this is perfectly normal, as it closes the aperture to the selected value to give an idea of DoF.

Actually became a little frustrated, called NIKON.. only a month old, they had no clue. sent it in .. been planning to go to the Bombay Hook National Refuge in Delaware next weekend . love to have the little guy back . thanks for your reply .. donne_nau.gif