How should I handle this?

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited September 11, 2011 in Sports
A month or so back I shot an Tough Mudder style race. I was contacted by the promoter asking if he could use 2 of my photos in his advertising flyers and posters for his next event.
My questions are, should I ask for a fee, (he gave me full media access and allowed me to sell my photos to the participants after the race in where I did sell quite a bit of my photos)? Also should I include my logo/copyright on the actual photo or ask him to give me credit "Photo by Lou Russo" under each photo on the flyer/posters?
Here are the photos with my watermark already included.

i-xHz4D2w-L.jpg

i-NrNsBXf-L.jpg
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• LiveLikeLizPhotosLiveLikeLizPhotos Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I think you should defiantly ask for your name to be somewhere on there taking credit for the photos. As for asking for a fee, it's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't. The way I see it, my photo's would be being advertised for me, so they shouldn't have to pay for them advertising for you. Then again, I'm new to this.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    quid pro quo. Is there an opportunity for advertisement? The participants are your clients - so, is their an opportunity for better advertisement to them? Another aspect: a signed contract with the promoter granting you exclusive photographic sales rights with that same language built in to the sign-up for participants.

It's also worth noting - you must have a signed model release from any participant in a photo - or rather, the promoter needs one if he's going to use the photos for advertisement. Without that release, it's not legal to use the photos for the purposes he wants to.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    If I am at an event to sell images to participants, in most cases, I do not charge the event promoter for photos. In fact in most cases I give them a CD of nice shots to use for their promotion. I do put a small logo on them as you have done here. This is a bargaining chip for me to never pay to shoot an event. It is one of those you scratch my back and I scratch yours sort of thing. It also seems to lock up future events for us as well with the same promoters.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    zerodog wrote: »
    if i am at an event to sell images to participants, in most cases, i do not charge the event promoter for photos. In fact in most cases i give them a cd of nice shots to use for their promotion. I do put a small logo on them as you have done here. This is a bargaining chip for me to never pay to shoot an event. It is one of those you scratch my back and i scratch yours sort of thing. It also seems to lock up future events for us as well with the same promoters.

+1
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Full access sounds more valuable than any small fee you might charge. Maybe he can make it exclusive access? or make mention of your service in the brochure?
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Thanks for the responses.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    If I am at an event to sell images to participants, in most cases, I do not charge the event promoter for photos. In fact in most cases I give them a CD of nice shots to use for their promotion. I do put a small logo on them as you have done here. This is a bargaining chip for me to never pay to shoot an event. It is one of those you scratch my back and I scratch yours sort of thing. It also seems to lock up future events for us as well with the same promoters.

Same here.

I have never paid to be an event yet. I have been asked plenty but have managed to offset any commissions with the value of the promo shots. I value add to this by specifically asking them if there is anything they want and be seen to be making an effort above and beyond what I would normally do to get what they want.