Options

Forever Marilyn

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited September 12, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Hi guys,

No, I didn't fall off a cliff--I was in Chicago on a family visit and had limited net access. I'm back in Madrid now and just starting to work through some pics. I didn't do much street shooting, but I wanted to share some shots of Seward Johnson's Forever Marilyn, a somewhat controversial work in downtown Chicago. Regardless of what the critics have said, this 26 foot tall sculpture is an immense hit with the tourists.
i-V2GR8K4-XL.jpg
i-WzPmhfT-XL.jpg
i-7679fSV-XL.jpg
Marilyn is not the only sculpture in the plaza, though she is certainly the largest. More in keeping with Midwestern sensibilities, there is also a bust of Jack Brickhouse, a well-known Chicago sportscaster.

i-BRqmd4q-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Male tourists I'm sure mwink.gif:D at least from the looks of those dudes strolling around rolleyes1.gif

Welcome Back, hope it was a productive trip.

Hey does this count as an "Upskirt Post" blbl.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    All these shots are good angles with the tourists providing as much a visual treat as the statue. The third is my favorite for this, but the others are better at giving a sense of the surrounding buildings and are (naturally for you, Richard) well composed.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    When I clicked on this thread, only the top portion of the first shot was visible at first. There was no sense of scale, and I thought it was a living model recreating the iconic moment.

It was only after I scrolled down and saw the scale, that I realized that it was a statue and not a live person. This is an extremely life-like statue!

By today's standards, she's wearing Granny Panties.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    Since Al Capone went to the hoosgow there hasn't been anything in the public eye that shouts "Chicago!" quite as loudly as this.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 12, 2011
    Thanks for commenting, guys. This was a little frustrating to shoot. I wanted to get people's reactions, but given the size of the sculpture there was no way to get reasonably close to the people and still have the whole sculpture in the frame. The shots I took of the people with only a part of the sculpture did not work at all.