Canon & Nikon Lose Market Share, Sony Gains

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in Cameras
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/canon-clinging-to-mirrors-means-opportunity-for-sony-cameras.html

I thought we needed a thread for this :)

It's pretty certain Nikon's mirrorless is coming on the 21st. Canon has made statements indicating that they don't need a mirrorless camera since their Rebels sell so well. The Rebels do sell, but I think Canon will have to enter the mirrorless market. It's too big to ignore. Canon's the last to the game, and they're paying for it. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I'm glad Sony is gaining share. They deserve to. They put an APS-C sensor in their cameras and share their mount specs with 3rd-party lens manufacturers. Well done Sony :thumb. Hopefully we'll see more big sensors in these mirrorless cameras. Maybe Canon will use an APS-C sensor if/when they come out with a mirrorless camera.

And if Sony or someone else manages to get an FF sensor into one of these, the DSLR market might just be in danger. Just a thought.

Comments

• Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Then I hope Olympus's AF in the EP-3 isn't patented :)
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    A few more good lenses and they may become a threat.bowdown.gif
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-07/canon-clinging-to-mirrors-means-opportunity-for-sony-cameras.html

I thought we needed a thread for this :)

It's pretty certain Nikon's mirrorless is coming on the 21st. Canon has made statements indicating that they don't need a mirrorless camera since their Rebels sell so well. The Rebels do sell, but I think Canon will have to enter the mirrorless market. It's too big to ignore. Canon's the last to the game, and they're paying for it. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I'm glad Sony is gaining share. They deserve to. They put an APS-C sensor in their cameras and share their mount specs with 3rd-party lens manufacturers. Well done Sony thumb.gif. Hopefully we'll see more big sensors in these mirrorless cameras. Maybe Canon will use an APS-C sensor if/when they come out with a mirrorless camera.

And if Sony or someone else manages to get an FF sensor into one of these, the DSLR market might just be in danger. Just a thought.
  • MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Sony is innovating and pushing hard while Canikon is just refreshing technology from first and second generation. If Sony learns to make their own top quality glass we'll be saying Canikony.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    One surprisinig thing
    Mirrorless is selling extremely well in Asia, selling reasonably well in Europe but has barely made a ripple in the US market. It's tempting to bring out the old adage that big = good in America but I think there must be other factors at work.

As for Sony, their rate of development is staggering. If they put as much effort into glass as they do for the sensors and the camera bodies, they'd be a real threat now!
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    Well, they did release the specs of their NEX mount with 3rd-party lens manufacturers. That should help with the good lenses part.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how the Mirrorless cameras from Nikon and Canon does. I guess we'll find out soon enough :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses