Random Macros

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited September 12, 2011 in Holy Macro
Out and about in the garden and there was very little to see so random macro time started.

Well, I say there was nothing about, there was this solitary moth that landed on a blade of grass.

IMG5191.jpg

...but then it started raining. I waited a little and ventured back out again. Having realised I'd not thrown my cover over my bike, I quickly snapped this random abstract shot of the stem risers.

IMG5204.jpg

Back to my ever so frequent green shots :D.

IMG5233.jpg

...and then some really really random shots. Seriously, these are just snaps for detail sake. Nothing compositionally worthwhile but hey, WTH, why not post 'em anyway. Sometimes the most bizarre images please someone somewhere :)

IMG5268.jpg

IMG5269.jpg

Comments

• Mcfly682Mcfly682 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    All of them please me : )

What lens setup was used?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Lovely series Ian - yes it's been like that over the last few days. Esp like #1 & #3
    Brian v.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Thanks McFly, Brian :)

Yeah the 1st and 3rd are my favourites too. :)

McFly setup was as follows:

Canon EOS400D (Rebel Xti)
    Sigma 105 EXDG with 20mm Ext. Tube on.
    Canon 430 Speedlite II Flash Diffused.
  • Mcfly682Mcfly682 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    IPClark wrote: »
    Sigma 105 EXDG with 20mm Ext. Tube on.

Thanks for the reply, Ian. Just a couple more quick questions for you if you don't mind answering for me.
    Since the Sigma isn't OS, do you handhold or use a tripod for most of your macros?
    What brand is the extension?

Thanks for any help you may give me as i want to take pictures like these. Instead of like these with my 70-300mm IS USM Canon telephoto from about 5 feet away. It takes a pretty good picture for handheld. The IS works great but the minimum focusing distance is too far for very good close ups. Would an extension tube help maybe?

IMG4745-L.jpg
    IMG4737-L.jpg
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    Hi McFly,

99% of my macros are hand held simply due to the nature of the bugs and their frequent insistence in not wishing to stay in one place for long :). Use of the flash helps greatly to freeze the action including any minor movements of the camera when taking the shot.

I believe Brian (LordV) often uses a monopod as it offers the extra stability, especially for natural light shots but with none of the awkwardness of a full tripod in the shrubbery :).

As for using an ext. tube on your telephoto. I'm not too sure really as I've never tried them on such a lens. If you can borrow a set or you have some, it might be worth giving it a go. Possibly another person here could confirm or advise accordingly.
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    Great shots - especially the first.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.