Options

I need all your help on software worth getting

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    With respect, I think you're asking the question backward.

Instead of making a list of all the cool toys that are available, you should be asking, what kind of photos am I making, and what do I need to do with those photos?

The most basic example is HDR-- you can spend hundreds of dollars on HDR software-- but if you're primarily a portrait shooter, it's just gonna sit on your hard drive unused.

Of course, if you truly have carte blanche, just buy one of everything. :-)

Alienskin, OnOne Software, ThePluginSite ...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    put a good virus-scanner on the list :D [ is software ] :D

The best I have found so far are both free unless you want the business licenses....AVG or AVAST.....I have run both at same time...that did slow down internet usage....but now it is just avast....for no particular reason......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    WolfOnDigitalWolfOnDigital Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Thanks!
    This guy's blog entry might be of interest. It was sent to me by a friend yesterday who had a similar question and wanted an opinion on the list. I mostly agree with the list (haven't used the Nik suite so can't comment on it).

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2010/12/what-plug-ins-should-i-buy.html

Very Helpful
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2011
    Mark
    MarkR wrote: »
    With respect, I think you're asking the question backward.

Instead of making a list of all the cool toys that are available, you should be asking, what kind of photos am I making, and what do I need to do with those photos?

The most basic example is HDR-- you can spend hundreds of dollars on HDR software-- but if you're primarily a portrait shooter, it's just gonna sit on your hard drive unused.

Of course, if you truly have carte blanche, just buy one of everything. :-)

Alienskin, OnOne Software, ThePluginSite ...

Yes, I know what kind of Photography I'm doing. :D
    And yes, I have carte blanche. :D

But your points are appreciated.

Jeff
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Hey Jeff, In addition to Lightroom and Photoshop, you may want to check out Alien Skin Exposure 3 plugins. I find that I use it more than anything to brighten and boost contrast. It simulates many different types of traditional film without overdoing it. Since I used to shoot film with Fujichrome Astia, I find that to be my go-to plugin.

Does some pretty great black and white conversions as well.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.aspx

Cherie
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Personally, I don't use anything but Photoshop CS5, although if you process a lot of photos I would recommend LR3 as well.

I never found plugins very useful. Most of their effects you can easily accomplish in Photoshop. Also, NR software and up-sizing apps don't offer much - most reviews show tiny differences at 100%. If noise and resolution is often a problem for you, it's going to be more effective to review your shooting instead of your PP.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2011
    Cherie
    hamster wrote: »
    Hey Jeff, In addition to Lightroom and Photoshop, you may want to check out Alien Skin Exposure 3 plugins. I find that I use it more than anything to brighten and boost contrast. It simulates many different types of traditional film without overdoing it. Since I used to shoot film with Fujichrome Astia, I find that to be my go-to plugin.

Does some pretty great black and white conversions as well.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.aspx

Cherie

Thanks for adding your input. :D

Jeff
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    Do you know which Tutorials are the best ones? I could add that to the list. :)

For LR and ACR, George Jardines are top notch. Start here with a free one on B&W conversions in both products:http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244

I also think the Video Tutorials on Luminous Landscape are an excellent value. But keep in mind, everyone has their own ideas of what makes a great tutorial. Some like the NAPP-KISS (distill everything to 7-processes) method. Others want to know what is actually going on under the hood and why. George’s tutorial for B&W conversions is a prefect example. Its not a fast-food, show me in 10 minutes kind of approach which I greatly prefer. In his video you’ll see a number of steps that have been recommended over the years, many which are dated albeit simple and not the best approach if you are detail oriented.

George prefaces this perfectly:
    Total running time for this video is a little over 36 minutes. Please note that if you are looking for “tutorials” that are under 10 minutes in length, then you are at the wrong website. Somehow….. you have confused mulita.com with a fast-food establishment.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    Any chance of video at all? Add Adobe Premiere Pro
    CINDY,

I like your Thinking!!! clap.gif

Jeff
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2011
    Andrew
    arodney wrote: »
    For LR and ACR, George Jardines are top notch. Start here with a free one on B&W conversions in both products:http://mulita.com/blog/?p=1244

I also think the Video Tutorials on Luminous Landscape are an excellent value. But keep in mind, everyone has their own ideas of what makes a great tutorial. Some like the NAPP-KISS (distill everything to 7-processes) method. Others want to know what is actually going on under the hood and why. George’s tutorial for B&W conversions is a prefect example. Its not a fast-food, show me in 10 minutes kind of approach which I greatly prefer. In his video you’ll see a number of steps that have been recommended over the years, many which are dated albeit simple and not the best approach if you are detail oriented.

George prefaces this perfectly:

Andrew,

Thank you.
    Excellent link!!

Jeff
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2011
    Dan
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Any chance of video at all? Add Adobe Premiere Pro

Thank you Dan.