Help a Cuban out.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 11, 2011 in People
OK... so I need a photo for my contact page. I took a few today. Not sure if I want to use any of these but if I did, which do you think?

I have a tendency to look like I'm about to beat up the person holding the camera. I tried my best not to look that way here, but since I don't try to look menacing on purpose, I'm not really sure I look any different than usual. :scratch

I was thinking of doing one of those typical photog portraits where I hold a camera in a really cool way. Unfortunately I sold my other body last night so I don't have another camera at the moment.

DSC8309-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8315-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8324-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    Laughing.gif. I have a pork pie hat.... a stingy brim pork pie hat.

Now help me choose? deal.gif

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Long sleeve shirt? It may be the beefcake thing which some find subliminally intimidating... And what happens if you smile to add some more softness/approachability - are we at risk of mirrors cracking? :giggle

I think these are both pretty nice, actually (and all kidding aside you look great), but I think you can go even softer by going for a lighter, brighter, airier look than the black bg and studio lights. Why not natural light, or even just a lighter (but not high key) background? Just thoughts thumb.gif
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Good suggestions. I had this this low key config setup already so I decided to try these shots but I agree, I think something a bit lighter and more fun. These are a bit to serious for who I really am.

My Smug Site
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Have some studio fun. Dress in a few different outfits - hot weather, cold weather, formal, beach, etc. - and when you get the shots, make a montage of them for the web site. You might even try non-studio situations; go out amongst the people and let someone take a few shots of you actually taking shots of stuff.

For a web page, the resolution doesn't have to be as great, so you could use a P&S camera for this and get your SLR into the picture. Even if you have no P&S, there must be someone amongst your family, friends, or coworkers who could loan you one for a day or two. Or, arrange one of those SF photowalks and ask a fellow Dgriner to take some shots of you in action, with some great landmarks and famous skylines in the background. If you offer to reciprocate, you could set up a group portrait session that would give everyone some nice shots for their web pages and portfolios.

To get rid of that "I'm going to beat up the photographer" look, you need jokes. Whenever I'm shooting a portrait of someone, I try to say something cheesy and funny instead of "Smile", because laughter brings out far better and more genuine expressions than posed smiles.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I agree with everything Divamum said--would like to see you less serious and in a lighter setting.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    My oldest son presents similar challenges feature wise that you do photographically. He's in the minor leagues of a professional sport and I think he's somewhere in the four percent body fat range. Because of his chiseled features his face tends to photograph very "hard".

I have found that a large softbox used almost straight on and SLIGHTLY above softens his features quite a bit. If I use any kind of sidelighting on him he tends to look like someone most people would go out of their way to avoid.

And I agree with others on the long sleeves. I know you have worked your kiester off to get guns like that. What good is all that work if you can't show them off? However, it does look intimidating to some people (which can be a good thing in some instances) but for this purpose, the "guns" are better concealed than worn out in the open.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I agree that you need more "approachability" in your photo. Thankfully, you already have the good looking part down.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    They all scare me, but out of the three the 3rd one would be the best. But I would think one of you smiling would be even better.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
    edited September 9, 2011
    Great feedback guys. Wow... I sure am glad I cloned out the scars on my knuckles. Talk about scare factor.

OK... got it. Less "UFC fighter" and more "Goofy Cuban".

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    2 but with the same hands as in 3.

Have somebody flash you off camera and then click the shutter :).
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    You're doing this alone, right?

I think you need to have someone snapping the picture. If you can get it set up and firing on it's own and get this far, put a remote release in your wife's hand and have her push the button. That will engage you with something and get you out of your head. You're trying to be approachable, but I think if you and your wife just had fun with it you would be far more personable, since she would draw it out of you.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Great feedback guys. Wow... I sure am glad I cloned out the scars on my knuckles. Talk about scare factor.

OK... got it. Less "UFC fighter" and more "Goofy Cuban".

Why not "Goofy Cuban UFC Fighter"?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I would soften the shadows, too, if you want it friendlier.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited September 9, 2011
    What if I was holding a gun and wearing a wife beater... would that help?

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I like #1 the best..see if you can tape down your spock ears though...maybe a sweater vest will soften you up some as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited September 9, 2011
    Oh... that hurt.

HAHAHA... my ears give me character. My wife calls me "Trophy Head".

So about the sweater vest... no shirt underneath? I think that would be full of awesome.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Dude - you have a 4 year old neighbour girl totally in love with you - surely you can't be that scary!!!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Seriously - I bet if you do your best "playing with Bailey for the camera" thing you'll be full of "approachable" awesomeness. (Well, as long as you're not dressed up as Peter Pan to go with her Tinkerbell... lol3.gif )

Oh, and no "wife beater" look. Ever. Please. :nah
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Alex,

Here you go.......................

Sam

i-tV86B78-M.jpg
    edited September 9, 2011
    WTF SAM! I thought we discussed that what happened Mexico on our "trip" would never be discussed again!

My Smug Site
    edited September 9, 2011
    WTF SAM! I thought we discussed that what happened Mexico on our "trip" would never be discussed again!

I ain't discussing nothing.................it's just a photo I found.

Sam
    edited September 9, 2011
    OK, here you are in Lower Antelope Canyon. Happy now?

Sam

i-4pZqv3c-M.jpg
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Do you only have one t-shirt? ne_nau.gif

Not a "People" forum person, but two observations: First is that all the facial angles of the three shots are very similar. Do you have a good/bad side so angling the face slightly away from the camera would give different looks? Second is that the lighting is strongly directional. Would evening it out give it less of a "Two-face" feel and soften the look?
  • ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    You'd totally work the "tight suit" in classic black. Red tie on a white shirt. Don't even have to pose it. I'm just saying. Put your second shooter cam on a tripod to the side, staring at it, if you need to get you into the mood. T-shirt? C'mon.

Maybe work out your own private Anne Leibowitz setting or something. One of them photos where we the audience get that intimate "inside joke" moment without telegraphing to us what it is.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Your eyes look odd in 2 and 3 on my monitor, so I pick 1.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    What do you mean by a contact page. Are you selling yourself as a model, a photographer, a trainer, etc? Pose 2 & 3 seem slightly feminine and your T is off center in #3. Do you need so much of the body? Again all the comments are directed to how are you using the photo.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    After another look, in #2 you look crossed eyed. Delete that one, I think it has something to do with the shadowing and the fact that we all have one eye that is smaller than the other and this really exaggerates that.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I think I would like to see you sitting on a stool or standing and leaning back on something to soften your pose. There is a tension in your shoulders that gives you that attack the photographer look. You just don't look relaxed enough.

I am a fan of the guns so I really don't think they need to be hidden. Softer lighting perhaps so that the definition in your face and arms isn't as hard.
    Thanks all. My gut told me these wouldn't work for what I intend and your feedback has solidified that. Back to the drawing board. My wife and I are going to Vegas next week. I will have her shoot some that are more casual, a bit softer and more fun. I'll have a drink or two to relax, maybe that will help. I think I need something more close up too, head and shoulders maybe. We'll see. I will post for opinions.

My Smug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Remember, guys like to lean. Sit and have your elbows on your kness and smile. Then clasp your hands together and possilbe bring them up to your chin. Throw your right leg up on a chair leg then lean to your left with your left elbow on an arm rest. STand up and put your foot on a chair seat and rest your forearms on your knee. Standing fold your arms and lean into a wall. Don't forget to work the angles for all the above ideas. Photograph from the right, straight on and then the left. Have a great time in Vegas and try to catch Blue Man Group. Love those guys.