Options

DSS 85 - First Take on Orton

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited September 11, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Am I on the right track with these? All were made with camera motion - one exposure each. Do any of these evoke a feeling of serenity or wow? It has been quite rainy and wet here, saturating colors in surprising ways.

1. Once Upon a Time... (or Once Upon a...Sycamore Tree)
i-gVsLGwL-L.jpg

2. Kaleidoscope
i-kD9PdzQ-L.jpg

3. Embracing Autumn
i-Dsr5wG8-L.jpg

4. Liriope
i-LmH2Gd6-L.jpg

5. Crape Myrtle
i-b3P4QPZ-L.jpg

[Edit: Deleting 6 and 7]
I would like to try the other Orton approach but may not have time. I have entered #1 while seeking feedback on these.

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I like #2. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I think #4 is the most serene, but #1 holds my attention the longest.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I like your #2 and #3... of course, I'm drawn to the more saturated color pictures when it comes to the abstracts.
    edited September 9, 2011
    I think 3, 4 and 5 are great! Nice colors, nice light and lines~
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2011
    Thank you all for your input on these!

Here are three more from today:

8. Garden Gate
    i-PQJTH46-L.jpg

9. Tree Prism
    i-46xv3XC-L.jpg

10. Sky Tree
    i-xmV4dsV-L.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting. Posted some of these images on fb and two people commented on which ones they would want to buy if I ever start sellling prints (#3 and #9). People have commented on my photos before but wanting to hang one on a living room wall? I think this is a first.
  • Options
    I think #4 is the most serene, but #1 holds my attention the longest.

chris

Chris, thanks for your input on these. A large sycamore tree with its mottled bark is the basis for #1. It is definitely one of my favorites from this series.

Gretchen
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    I really like the muted colors in #1. ....I also like #7.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    Also prefer the muted colours of #1, and like the swirl of the colours. Also like #9, the almost 3D effect of being drawn into the centre.
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    Gretchen, they all have so much energy! Honestly, only #7 strikes me as off....I love the green coloring, but the shapes seem somehow unbalanced. Hard to pick a favorite....I'd have to say that Liriope is the one I'd hang on a wall, #9 is the one that speaks to me the most, and #8 with the gate is the one I'd like to see further experimented with......
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    I'm pulled more to the other style. But I can appreciate the effort in these. #1 appeals to me most. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input on these! Leah, I hope to return to the gate with one approach or the other.

Took more photos on Sunday and may try one of the many ways to process them. I'm deleting my earlier attempts at the Orton effect.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I agree with the fb poster. Definately #3 for me. I'm noting that many of the posters are indicate a preference for the blurred style over the abstract. For the record.. I'm loving the abstract challenge. It makes you have to look at the subject (before shooting) with a completely different perspective than that of more traditional composition. Loving this challenge. Nice work, as always, Gretchen.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug