Options

DSS 84 Exploring Orton

tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
edited September 13, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I could do this all day. When you go out to shoot with a particular processing in mind, it does change the way you look at the world. In particular, I like that it gives the opportunity to make even ugly things beautiful.

I've included a few different approaches and would like to hear feedback not only on the images, but on which style appeals to your own personal preferences.

Thanks, Chris
1 Resurrection lillies- original Orton effect
ca-9539-orton-M.jpg

2 Sundial- combo of original Orton effect with lens movement
ca-9801-2-orton-M.jpg

3 The Garden Wall- lens movement
ca-9811-1-orton-M.jpg

4 Rose Garden- lens movement
ca-9691-orton-M.jpg

5 Storm Fence - lens movement
ca-9781-2-orton-M.jpg

6 Storm Fence and Cedars
ca-9782-UL-orton-M.jpg
http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
If it's locked... find an open window.

Comments

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I'm torn between styles. I like the "glow" of the original photos, but I feel like the inspiration and chance of the lens movement shots really elevates a blurry picture to an artistic style. Of this set, I really like #6 for the colors, and the pattern of the highlights especially on the right, where they hook around. My second pick would be the original effect in #1, the background limestone really does well with that effect.
    edited September 9, 2011
    I like it when an abstract photo has some representational qualities that help me conjure up a particular subject so in that light my fave is #4 as I can imagine a Rose Garden. Plus, I can appreciate that up & down movement being not terribly easy to pull off (at least that's how it's been for me during this challenge!).

I also agree with red_zone though, on #6 showing artistic interpretation and would pick it for my 2nd fave. GP
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    Ok, I've never been much for abstract so I will always prefer an image of something recognizable. Take my comments then with a grain of salt. That said (& for what it's worth), I really like #1, though probably not the best for this particular challenge. Of the blurry ones, #2 is my fave. There's something identifiable (the sundial), but it has the artistic look also. #2 gets my vote. thumb.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2011
    I prefer #4. It seems to have the most continuity and flow of the blurred shots, but is still recognizable.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 10, 2011
    My favorites are #6 (color palette, lines, etc.), #1 and #3 (love the garden above the wall). With #2, I think Sean wants us to choose whether to go with the original Orton effect or the motion effect rather than combining them. Thanks for sharing these!
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    I like the colors and the movement in #2 and #3. Very pretty!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    I'm thinking #1 with a stronger effect put on it. To me right now, it still looks very detailed. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I'm gonna go with #6 on this one. There's something cool about the multitude of curves and curls, and the splash of orange in the lower right is terrific!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    I really like #4! For me it is my favorite out of all the abstract shots I have seen so far! Love it!!! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.