Options

DSS 85 - First Tries at Orton, C&C appreciated

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited September 19, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thanks Sean for the great challenge - interesting trying this technique. Not good with abstracts, have made attempt with the motion, not sure if getting right technique though. Read number of articles on creating the Orton effect digitally, and have tried number of pictures. Not sure if getting effect, or just not using the right photos for the effect.

Your comments on these two tries be appreciated:
#1 Underwater Fern (Orton effect)

[IMG][/img]F201109100021Orton-L.jpg

#2 Sand Rainbow (Orton Motion effect)

[IMG][/img]F201109100058OrtonMotion-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Wow, i REALLY like #1.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 10, 2011
    Both are lovely. I like texture and "glow" of #1 and the palette and luminescence of #2. Wondering whether #1 would be more effective with a tighter crop? (Perhaps a little off the left - cropping out the dark brown half way down the left side - and even less off the top?) Thanks for sharing these!
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I like #1...it has an underwater feel.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    I like #1...it has an underwater feel.

Wow, you're right. The blur on the highlights really does create a sense of underwater diffraction. Nice!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I'm not sure if I'm seeing the effect in #1, seems like you could get the same shot just from the fern being under water. I would try that one with a little more blur.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2011
    Thank you for the comments - the underwater feel is due to the fact that the shot was actually taken underwater - using my FujiFinepix in a waterproof case, hanging over the side of the kayak. Hence have digitally Ortonised the image - be impossible to take two photos as moving all the time plus the FujiFinepix (being a point & shoot camera) does not allow manual focus to do the blurred photo.

Have tried using a more blurred image, plus cropped tighter. As run out of time, entering this image.
    (deleted image - see post below)

Finding having trouble getting the blurred Orton effect - either doing the blurred photo digitally or using an actual out of focus photo. Cannot see the blurred effect other entries are getting, think must be in the layering, something will keep experimenting with, as does give an interesting effect to photos.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2011
    With my blurred photos... what I did was have my blurred layer on top of my sharp and then adjust the opacity on that layer so that I get the effect of having the sharp and the blur.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2011
    Thanks PedalGirl - have done by blurring the top layer (opposite of following the instructions, but maybe was reading them wrong), and now getting more of blurred effect - as below:

F201109100021UnderwaterFernOrt-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2011
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Thanks PedalGirl - have done by blurring the top layer (opposite of following the instructions, but maybe was reading them wrong), and now getting more of blurred effect - as below:

Yea, the official instructions didn't work out that well for me either... maybe because I'm still using PS Elements 7.0. So... I had to find another way to the effect. Actually, I think my way was easier! Laughing.gif