it's calendar time

2»

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:
    Andy,
    Same thing happened to me. They gave me a credit on the preview calendar...it DID NOT state anywhere that only one event per day would work...last year it did! I am waiting until Tuesday when the new calendars come out and I will remake (grrrroan) another calendar. The new calendars will also be incapable of 2 events on a day...IMHO a calendar w/o typical holidays etc is useless. There are only a few days that I need 2, so i will use the fix they gave me.
    Still worth it though.

Yeup. I gave it to them pretty hard, makes you wonder why they're not up front about that limitation - but I was glad that they gave full credit for my two sample calendars I made. I wouldn't groooooan to hard, you should be able to re-use the images you made for this calendar no problem I should think.
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Yeup. I gave it to them pretty hard, makes you wonder why they're not up front about that limitation - but I was glad that they gave full credit for my two sample calendars I made. I wouldn't groooooan to hard, you should be able to re-use the images you made for this calendar no problem I should think.
    I am grooooaning because if they have larger format calendars, I will probably need to re-work my photos. I'll see what they have to offer...i might like the new ones beterne_nau.gif
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    My calendar just hit the inner office advertisement here today at work. Time to wait and see what happens :)

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    I got two calendars up last week and I just have to wait for my samples to arrive. I have one of Religious San Antonio and one of Depot Town Muscle Cars. I know my boss will buy one, since his GTO is in it. I have the photos on my SmugMug site, but I need to get a preview uploaded to LuLu. I am hoping for sales, since the only thing I have sold since I formed my business is 4 themes. I do have a senoir portrait session though, once my lighting equipment comes in.
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    wow I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread... I was just creating my calendars over at www.shutterfly.com and did one with the theme title of "Symphony of Sky and Sea" for my family presents..... used all my sunset, and ocean shots. The quality was excellent but they cost $20.00 each unless you buy 20 or more, then the price drops to $11.99. So I will check into this site and see how things compare. I want to make a Music Themed calendar for my business, so maybe I can order those in bulk.

Thanks Andy for the calendar information. Oh and I'm impressed with the goggle calendar page...you and Ansel whoa :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    edited December 7, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    lulu just told me some new calendar options are coming next week - new choices in formats, paper weights and colors (like buff, maybe?) and some bug fixes. that's all i know.

OK i just got my new calendar. Premium, 13.5" x 19"; Coil-bound 100#, white interior paper, full-color (CMYK) interior ink, 100# white exterior paper, full-color (CMYK) exterior ink. I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I got the darn thing! The stock is *very* heavy - really really sturdy and will stand up to most anything. The images are much bigger than the standard version - and the quality is way better in my opinion. Sure - again - these are *not* photographic prints and you shouldn't expect them to be - but for hanging on an office wall or in the kitchen, they sure do the job for me. The premium calendars are much more expensive than the standards - like $10 more I think.

I give Lulu credit for trying - the ordering process isn't easy, but then I think about all that they're doing and I understand. The finished product is quite nice.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    OK i just got my new calendar. Premium, 13.5" x 19"; Coil-bound 100#, white interior paper, full-color (CMYK) interior ink, 100# white exterior paper, full-color (CMYK) exterior ink. I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I got the darn thing! The stock is *very* heavy - really really sturdy and will stand up to most anything. The images are much bigger than the standard version - and the quality is way better in my opinion. Sure - again - these are *not* photographic prints and you shouldn't expect them to be - but for hanging on an office wall or in the kitchen, they sure do the job for me. The premium calendars are much more expensive than the standards - like $10 more I think.

I give Lulu credit for trying - the ordering process isn't easy, but then I think about all that they're doing and I understand. The finished product is quite nice.
    Did you check and make sure that July didn't come before June like it did with my premium calendar? No sir, :nono no more lulu for me.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Did you check and make sure that July didn't come before June like it did with my premium calendar? No sir, :nono no more lulu for me.

Yes - I was astute enough to check the print-ready pdf before pushing the publish button and ordering naughty.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Yes - I was astute enough to check the print-ready pdf before pushing the publish button and ordering naughty.gif
    I DID look at the preview... (but I didn't notice it rolleyes1.gif)

And then I looked at the calendar when it came (and I still didn't notice it rolleyes1.gifuhoh)

And then my wife got home and the first thing she noticed was that july and june were all messed up. 11doh.gif11doh.gifrolleyes1.gif :uhoh :bluduh :hang

Maybe I'm not a very good photographer because I'm actually blind?

Anyhow, still doesn't change my boycott of lulu (at least for calendars).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    How many calendars have you sold, Andy?
    Not trying to be nosey or anything......
    just trying to gauge how things might work using your "system" of LuLu & Smugmug?

Maybe I'll be more specific........ have you sold more than or less than 50 calendars ?

Is Lu Lu drop shipping the calendars to the customers for you or, are you mailing them out yourself?

Can you print let's say your company name and website on the BACK of the calendar or on bottom of each page?

Those are my questions for you. BTW, your site is looking REALLY nice!

Best regards,
    Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    Not trying to be nosey or anything......
    just trying to gauge how things might work using your "system" of LuLu & Smugmug?

Maybe I'll be more specific........ have you sold more than or less than 50 calendars ?

Is Lu Lu drop shipping the calendars to the customers for you or, are you mailing them out yourself?

Can you print let's say your company name and website on the BACK of the calendar or on bottom of each page?

Those are my questions for you. BTW, your site is looking REALLY nice!

Best regards,
    Markjay

You can print anything you like, on the page your photo is going on. You cannot print on the rear (back) page.

Lulu takes the orders and sends them directly to customers. As of last week, I has sold 77 units....

I hope this helps, and thanks for the kind words!

All the best,
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Nice calendar, Nikolai!
    I like your churches calendar.......
    very nice and not just another butterflies calendar :-)

One critique of the front cover (bold of me, isn't this?)

Next time you place your text on the calendar, make sure the text lettering you use is placed in a location that does not detract or make your text hard to read. The last two letters of Churches happens to be located right in the middle of a candle flame..... making it stand our "less" than it would have if you'd simply moved your text to the (for example) left top or left rule of thirds area of the calendar cover.

Ofcourse the calendar is so beautiful, only nit picking, nose picking people like me would notice the text thing. So forgive me for my 2 cents but that's my critique and I'm stickin to it!! lol

Thank you for sharing it with us, Nikolai!

Markjay
    Nikolai wrote:
    I thought to myself: why does a calendar have to be all about seasons?headscratch.gif Didn't we all see kittens calendars, flowers calendars, lighthouses calendars, younameit calendars...ne_nau.gif
    So, without further ado, I'm proudly presenting my first public lulu calendar:
    Conejo Valley:: Churchesclap.gif

I was working on that project for a while (if you remember, but maybe not), but never made it to "press". I hope this one could be a decent try to start in the "calendar" business:-).
    Of course, I'd need to update my SM page to reflect it, but hey, important thing is done - it's been created and now live!

Thanks again, Andy, you're a great help!
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!