help please with this shot

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited September 12, 2011 in Landscapes
I've been working on this shot and just can't get it "right"... any comments or help would be appreciated.

boat-XL.jpg

Comments

• senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    The skyline cutting the picture in half is what my eye likes the least. If you were to crop out the bottom third (eliminating all the fg foliage) it makes a more compelling image. I like the shades of blue in that possibility. If, instead you were to crop the top third out (not far above that standalone cloud on the left) you would have a completely different but still interesting image. I think either of those choices improves on the original.
    Jay
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    I agree with Jay - the horizon in the center bothers me. I'd crop off the bottom - I like the sky much better (including the way it is reflected in the water) than that little bit of foliage on the bottom.
  • byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I agree, the foreground is not interesting and a bit distracting. I would crop that to un-center the horizon. I would have liked to see this shot in landscape, as there is not too much depth involved in this shot, and you could have still captured most of the cloud detail.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    thanks all for your comments, they were helpful. I've cropped it and it's definitely better but ya know?? it's just that interesting a shot! but the centered horizon made it worse... thanks again. Here's the cropped version.

boat-XL.jpg
  • PhotoaspenPhotoaspen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 12, 2011
    Much Better :)!