I don't do HDR...

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited September 15, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
...but once I'd taken this (Cusworth Hall, Doncaster), i thought it'd be decent to try with. I used Topaz to do it. What do you think? I know i cropped the side buildings, but that was because this is a panorama which was quite distorted (I was down the slope, looking up at the house) and in correcting THAT distortion, i lost some of the building. The shape is still not "quite" right...but the HDR is what i want you to talk to me about. ;)

6133432672_bbbe51b728_o.jpg
Cusworth Hall by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    I'm not a fan of " overdone " HDR at all. I think you've kept this shot out of that range successfully, so I say " well done ".

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    I'm not a fan of " overdone " HDR at all. I think you've kept this shot out of that range successfully, so I say " well done ".

Tom

Thank you...avoiding the "overdone" whilst at the same time not being too "subtle" was my aim.
    Thank you for the encouragement. :)
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    On my monitor, it does look very HDR'ish, and not subtle. Sorry, but that's how I see it. Maybe turn the saturation down a couple notches?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    David_S85 wrote: »
    On my monitor, it does look very HDR'ish, and not subtle. Sorry, but that's how I see it. Maybe turn the saturation down a couple notches?

No need to be sorry...I'm looking for pointers, and you're not the first to say it's overdone. :)

Looking to my next practise now...:)

Cheers.
    edited September 14, 2011
    Is this any better? Worse? Same?

6147969932_f86ceb03e7_o.jpg
    Cusworth Hall hdr 2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Topaz does not let you do a true HDR photo does it? By true, I mean combining different photos together and different exposures.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited September 15, 2011
    ront wrote: »
    Topaz does not let you do a true HDR photo does it? By true, I mean combining different photos together and different exposures.

Ron

No, sorry, my mistake. I didn't use Topaz, I used HDR Efex Pro...although this is not a multiple exposure HDR either. But it is done in a "HDR" program. Sorry to mislead anyone, if I have done.

Cheers