My Old Man - First Post

mishimishi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 11, 2011 in People
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this shall be my first photograph. I have no formal training in photography, and am hoping to get some critique of my work at this forum. I will for sure chime in with my two cents on your work as well.

Cheers,
Mishi

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2011
    Welcome !!! Half of my training has come from this forum , you will love it.

Your image is very interesting, full of character. I like the fact that his hand and fingers are showing, they speak of a lifetime of work. The biggest nit for is that his hair and the background blend a bit too much. And the eyes could use some fill flash. These can also be improved in post production. if you have a program, like Photoshop. Thank you for sharing your Dad's image with us.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • mishimishi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Thanks for the quick response Trudy! I am tempted to leave this color on, just to be able to separate the hair from the background brightness. Any thoughts?

I will go try out the fill flash function. Thanks a ton!

-Mishi
    http://mishi.smugmug.com/
  • ArtlifeArtlife Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    mishi wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response Trudy! I am tempted to leave this color on, just to be able to separate the hair from the background brightness. Any thoughts?

I will go try out the fill flash function. Thanks a ton!

-Mishi
    http://mishi.smugmug.com/
    It makes a very interesting B/W image. But, I think it can be done without washing out the hair. A little sharpness and light on the eyes would be nice too yes. Thank you for sharing!

DL http://www.artlife.us
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    wave.gif Welcome!

Great, great shot - character, beautiful sidelighting and a real "moment". Well done.

If it were mine, I'd stick with BW conversion (although a different one than your original version), and probably crop down into the hair to lose the areas that are too bright, and possibly crop tighter from the camera left side as well (that's tricky because of the ear/shirt, but I suspect there's a crop that would work with some experimenting).

Good job! thumb.gif
  • mishimishi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Thank you!
    Thank you for your advise Divamum, I will try to get someone to help me with Photoshop. I am uploading one more of my recent portraits. Comments welcome!

Thanks,
    Mishi
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I like the b/w image..even with the blown out hair and background.....fill flash is best and easiest done with a hotshoe flash....not the pop up one......of all the cams I have owned with pop up flashes they have never seen over 20-30 pops collectively.......Good Luck and keep posting.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• 0scar990scar99 Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    Welcome, I'm a newbie here too!
    Love the first image.. Great face! I echo the comments earlier.. I'd crop tighter and also in Photoshop I'd great a mask for the background and selectively darken it.. PS takes some learning but there are some great tutorials out there.. Google is your friend
  • danieloowensdanieloowens Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    I love the B/W image of your old man. Immediately you are drawn to his eyes. The blow out of light makes a nice vignette. ;-)
    Daniel O Owens
    "The Motocross Photographer"
    I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
    My two main clients are NumberOneATV and Dirt Rider Magazine.