BMX Profile

danieloowensdanieloowens Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 3, 2011 in Sports
Last week I had the opportunity to profile a BMX Freestyle rider. Here are three images that are going to be used.

I would love to hear feedback as I am always trying to improve what I do. Thanks!

Video of shoot.

Daniel-O-Owens-Photography-7-M.jpg

Daniel-O-Owens-Photography-3-M.jpg

Daniel-O-Owens-Photography-1-M.jpg
Daniel O Owens
"The Motocross Photographer"
I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
My two main clients are NumberOneATV and Dirt Rider Magazine.

Comments

• PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    I love to ride a bit at the local skate park and enjoy bringing my camera. Even used my son to hold an off camera flash, but never had the opportunity to set up like this. As for your shots. The first one looks very well set up to have some large type used across the top...good attitude with the dropped bike near by. 2nd one is very captivating. With so much flash used it has a painted look. Not saying this is bad, just reminds me of a video game cover. 3rd one is a difficult balance trick, but the cluttered background takes away from the shot and I have never been a fan of a centered focal point. I think it would be improved using a low f-stop to blur out the swing set. Curious why he did not want to use a nice air stunt shot from the bottom of the ramp... I know you got a few of them. Just my .$02.. I am no pro photographer, but I do make a living doing artwork, so my eye goes to the composition in many shots.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2011
    I really like the first and the second shots. The lighting is really cool. I bet this dude is pumped about all of these shots.

The third shot could be improved a bit. The biggest issue I have is you do not see his face. The background is not blurred out quite enough and it is sort of busy. A good option for this exact shot would be to shoot from a lower angle on the ramp or right off to the side of the ramp shooting up. You would loose most of the background and get his face and get a hero type shot. Even if the ramp is small it will make it look like a bigger stunt.

For this shot I think it could be improved by cropping it into portrait. It would loose most of the background and be nice and tight on the rider. There is nothing in this shot to give it scale, meaning is this ramp 30ft tall? So you might as well be nice and tight.
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2011
    Terrific stuff Daniel. Also visited your website. Very nice. Thanks for sharing the videos.
  • danieloowensdanieloowens Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2011
    Thanks everybody!
    Daniel O Owens
    "The Motocross Photographer"
    I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
    My two main clients are NumberOneATV and Dirt Rider Magazine.