Options

Help - Team Basketball Banner Shoot

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited September 12, 2011 in Technique
All,

I am going to shoot our basketball team tomorrow for a banner. The banner will be 6'x8' and will have 12 boys in tuxes. I was thinking of having the gym lit but shoot in a way that the gym is dark except for the lighting on the boys from the strobes.

I took some test shots of the gym and this is what I came up with. The gym isn't totally dark and I will cut the ISO a lot.. Any suggestions for camera/lens settings changes? Is F/11 about what I want to stay at?

Exposure Time: 1/250
Lens: Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR II
F Number: 11
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Ratings: 6400
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire
Focal Length: 70
Model: NIKON D700
i-QWQwhXx-M.jpg

F Number: 16
i-GL9XfZv-M.jpg

F Number: 22
i-wR7bkNz-M.jpg
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2011
    Just drop your ISO and you can make it go black... I mean, those shots are 6400.. So at ISO 320, 160, somewhere around there, the only thing being lit should be them. Unless you want them at center court for a logo or something, I'd keep them to one sideline, so the light falloff will make sure you see black behind them....

My guess. :)
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    Did you mean, Dark as in black? Or Dark as in you can tell it's a gym, just not wanting to light the whole thing??? Sorry, was a quick read at first..

If you want it dark... but not black, lower the ISO, but then if you can put lights behind them to light the gym.... Don't use the overheads as the color temp mix will suck....
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Drop your ISO to 200!!!!!! Yikes!

Start at ISO 200 f11. If the gym is very dim and or dark just go ahead and set your strobes up and adjust the power to properly expose the players. That way the strobes will be controlling the image exposure.

You will need to adjust, set modify, scrim, reflect, etc the lights to get the effect your looking for.

Do not start with a high ISO, always start with a lower ISO and work your way up as necessary.

Sam
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. Shoot is in a couple of hours. I will post results. I appreciate everyone's help!

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com