Four weekends at Mount Rainier

ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited September 21, 2011 in Landscapes
I haven't posted any photos here in a quite a while, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling again with some photos I've taken at Mount Rainier over the last four weekends (three Saturday morning trips for sunrise and one full weekend of camping and hiking). As it turns out, there's hardly been a cloud on any weekend around here lately, so I had to make due with blue skies, for the most part. On Labor Day weekend, my wife and I hiked up to Van Trump Park (past Comet Falls) for the first time, which is where a few of these sunset photos are from. A ranger gave us a tip that the wildflower meadows were excellent there, and she wasn't kidding. They were much better than anywhere else I had seen so far this year. It was quite an uphill hike (and return in the dark), but well worth it. This weekend, we may head out to Spray Park (for my first time) if the weather permits.

Anyway, the photos are below. Comments and criticism are welcome. Thanks for looking!

1 - Morning at Bench Lake:
rainier_2011_03.jpg

2 - Looking toward the Tatoosh Range from Paradise just after sunset (with smoke to the south):
rainier_2011_04.jpg

3 - Narada Falls in mid afternoon:
rainier_2011_05.jpg

4 - Sunset at Van Trump Park:
rainier_2011_06.jpg

5 - Sunset at Van Trump Park:
rainier_2011_08.jpg

6 - Mount Adams in the smoke to the south from Van Trump Park at sunset:
rainier_2011_09.jpg

7 - Just after sunrise at Paradise:
rainier_2011_12.jpg

8 - Near the top of Ruby Falls on the Paradise River:
rainier_2011_14.jpg
Kris

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    WOW, all of these are incredible!!!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2011
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    Very well done! Those wildflowers really set up the shots and the shot of Mount Adams in the distance is stunning.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    Love these! I need to make it down there sometime.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    very nice! i think i like #1 and # 7 best. #2 is very much like one i shot this past Saturday, looking toward the Tatoosh Range from Paradise meadow at sunset... gotta love "The Mountain"... :D
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    ront wrote: »
    WOW, all of these are incredible!!!!
    thonsu wrote: »
    Stunning. Hard to pic favorites.
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Very well done! Those wildflowers really set up the shots and the shot of Mount Adams in the distance is stunning.
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    Love these! I need to make it down there sometime.

Thank you all very much! I appreciate the feedback. Now's the time to make it there, if you can. I intend to go back this weekend myself, probably the last time for a few weeks (and then I'll be back for the fall colors). It's shaping up to be my first chance to make it out there with some possible clouds this summer, and the flowers are now peaking in many areas.
    squirl033 wrote: »
    very nice! i think i like #1 and # 7 best. #2 is very much like one i shot this past Saturday, looking toward the Tatoosh Range from Paradise meadow at sunset... gotta love "The Mountain"... :D

Thanks! When I was shooting sunset there over Labor Day weekend, that was basically the only area I could find in the trails around Paradise that had some nice patches of flowers. The only thing that annoys me about shooting to the south right there is the road in the background. I noticed you did a good job of finding a nice composition without the road, whereas it ended up in most of my shots (including this one, originally).
    Kris
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Love your series, very well done. I just love #6, there is such a feeling of depth with the various layers of color and texture. What a great composition.
  • VaughanVaughan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    Stunning set of photos, no1 and 6 are my favourites but they are all beautiful
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    Beautiful series! thumb.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    All are great! Especially love the sky color in #2 !
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Nice.....Nice......Nice. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Love the wildflowers and the rainbow, or is it a waterfall bow?

Sam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Very jealous here. Bravo clap.gif
    Wow, thanks for all the kind words! I really appreciate all the feedback. Hopefully I'll have more to share after this weekend, as a Spray Park hike is looking more and more likely on Saturday.
    Kris
  • codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Spectacular. I'd love to know your essential setup. Obviously a tripod, likely your aperture closed down dramatically, are you also using a ND filter and/or circular polarizer? What lens/body?

Again, great shots. I love that nearly every shot has an obvious and compelling subject at every distance from the camera.

Cheers!
  • choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    WOW! these are STUNNING shots. They look too good to be real but damn, GREAT JOB DONE!!! clap.gif

bowdown.gif
    edited September 17, 2011
    Spectacular. I'd love to know your essential setup. Obviously a tripod, likely your aperture closed down dramatically, are you also using a ND filter and/or circular polarizer? What lens/body?

Again, great shots. I love that nearly every shot has an obvious and compelling subject at every distance from the camera.

Cheers!

Thanks for the kind words!

To answer your questions, they were all shot with my Canon 7D and either the 10-22 or 17-55 lens. I believe I had my Hoya HD circular polarizer on for all of them. I had a Lee 3-stop soft grad ND on for a couple of them (#2 and maybe #7?) to balance out the sky/mountain and foreground. They're all from a single exposure except for #1 which was manually blended (one of my first) from two exposures - one for the mountain/sky and one for the rest, for dynamic range. Also, the #3 used a B&W 10-stop ND filter to get the long exposure in the middle of the afternoon (along with the polarizer, which helped bring out the rainbow). As for aperture, most were around F/16. And yes, every one of these were on a tripod (my heavy Slik 700DX with Manfrotto 498RC2 head).
    Kris
    WOW! these are STUNNING shots. They look too good to be real but damn, GREAT JOB DONE!!! clap.gif

bowdown.gif

Thank you!
    Kris
  • bnickesonbnickeson Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    So that's what Paradise looks like with flowers on it this year! Great series!
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    Amazing..!!
    What a fantastic set of pictures, all all very well done.

Thank you for sharing.

Marcelo
  • lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    wow Beautiful set of Pictures
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    Great shots. Superb composition and colors.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
    Thank you all! I actually stopped by Paradise again yesterday, and the flowers are still quite thick (for this year anyway), but it was rainy and breezy and the mountain was completely clouded over, so I didn't get any shots off at the meadows. I had also hoped to make it to Spray Park to shoot the wildflowers, but that's looking less likely now. It certainly feels like fall has arrived around here. On that note, I'll be back out at Rainier in a few weeks for the fall colors, hopefully!
    Kris
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    Yes wow very nice! No. 5 for me: love the near/far and flowers/snow contrasts. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 21, 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous! Many of the trails were still under snow when I was there in late August. My favorites are #2 and 5. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • AmazingGrace0385AmazingGrace0385 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    bowdown.gifWOW!

Those are ALL amazing! LOVE the rainbow!
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    WOW!! Just WOW!!clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
  • rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    Great shots, I'd have to say the last one is my favorite.
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
    Thank you so much for all the comments!
    Kris