Options

Venice guy

SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited September 13, 2011 in Street and Documentary
I'm new to street photography and photography in general. I trying to find my style and it seems to be close to street. I see that most people go with black and white but I shoot at the beach a lot and it doesn't seem to work as well as color sometimes. The images below are from Venice. I think the photo works better in color than black and white. Let me know which you prefer. Feel free to offer other advice as well.

I couldn't get the links to show up properly so I attached the B&W version. Links to the both are below as well.

Color:
Seriouscolor.jpg

Black & White
Serious.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 13, 2011
    Hi Samo and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. I'm afraid your pics are not showing. Check out this link: How To Post on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamoBikerSamoBiker Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    Thanks Richard. I think I fixed the issue. Images seem to be showing up for me now.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    B&W better here,

Makes viewer focus on Subject and the B&K just adds to overall

Color confuses things.

Just my 2
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    Yep fixed. Cool shot. I prefer the B&W. Red always attracts lots of attention but in this case, the red areas (apart from Enjoy) don't hold any interest.
  • Options
    evanlavineevanlavine Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    Hi Samo!

I can see why you are attracted to the color in this scene - it is indeed a colorful environment - in real life it must have been a trip. On the page (screen or mount), for me, the b&w enhances the photo while the color detracts from the main elements/theme. Is your main subject the color or the man? I am assuming it would be the man - the color competes with this while black and white compliments as it doesn't jar my eye away from him. I guess you can say it is more harmonious.

Anyway, great to meet you,

evan
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    bfjr wrote: »
    Color confuses things.

I don't think Martin Parr would agree with you, Benjamin. But you sort of have to be Martin to get the color right.