Options

Second Try with Orton - Gate or Abstract?

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited September 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are 3 takes on a gate using the Orton effect. I've experimented with blending two exposures and doing it all in Photoshop with one exposure. Does the gate have potential or should I stick with one of the abstracts I did earlier with the motion effect? If the gate has potential, I may be able to reshoot in a way that retains some blue in the sky but as others have noted, the Orton effect tends to blow out the sky.

Would appreciate any input you might have on these!

Thanks,
Gretchen

11. Greener on the Other Side
i-5wcj2VP-L.jpg

12. Gateway
i-x4M5bzJ-L.jpg

13. Garden Gate
i-72H4HHk-L.jpg

Favorites from my abstracts - for comparison: (click on the image if you want to see a larger version)

1. Once upon a...Sycamore (Tree)
i-gVsLGwL-M.jpg

3. Embracing Autumn
i-Dsr5wG8-M.jpg

4. Liriope
i-LmH2Gd6-M.jpg

9. Tree Prism
i-46xv3XC-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    I really like the gates. I like the stone in #13 and the shadow of the metalwork on the stone in #12. I think overall I like #12 best.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2011
    Heading to Chicago soon and may not have time to do any more with this after today.... Still hoping for input re the gates as an option, but I do love the motion effect abstracts. Will definitely keep this approach in mind as I approach shoots in various locations. Very grateful to Sean for this challenge!
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    This one's got me spinning between abstract and blur effects. In this case, I'm finding something visually unsettling in the gates. The angle of view (particularly in the 2nd and 3rd) somehow give the composition an unbalanced feel. That said, I'd agree with WhatSheSaw's comment on the metalwork shadow and the stone in 12 and 13.

I guess for my taste (which runs toward abstract preferences) I'd go with one of your first four. Personally, 2 and 3 are my favs.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    I like the look of #3 & 4 better than the gate shots.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    Bill and Chad, thank you both for your input. Going with one of the motion effect abstracts will make life a little more sane for me.... :D

Bill, the set up for the gate shots is a bit awkward as there are steps descending to this level and then lots of overhanging tree limbs. So I was shooting this from close range with a wide angle lens. I'll return to the gate another time of year, I think, and with a different purpose in mind.

G.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    I like the gate...especially #12.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    Hi Gretchen - I'm just tuning in after a few days, but of these I think I prefer the abstracts. Although I like the idea of the gates I agree with Bill on the angle. And anyway, you've got some really good abstracts - I can't really decide which I prefer since they're so different, maybe 3,4 + 9. GP
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    #1 Abstract
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    I also like #3 and #4 (abstracts) the best.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GP, Kate, and Sandi - thank you all for your feedback on these. I'll definitely be going with an abstract but still dithering over which one!
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    Of all, I like the liriope the best. The gates look a bit cramped to me.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    Thanks, Chris. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    Good luck with the decision.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/