A Very Willing Subject Part ll

briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
edited September 15, 2011 in People
I intended to post these sooner but the hurricane made for a change of plans. Here I changed from close up headshots to full length with simple setting. As always I would be interested to hear your comments.

_8176258web.jpg

_8176275web.jpg

_8176304web.jpg

_8176303web.jpg

_8176315web-1.jpg
"Photography is not about the thing photographed.
It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    There is a lot of loveliness happening in #3! I think I would like #2 if her foot wasn't cut off.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    Thanks for looking. I thought maybe there was enough foot showing to get away with it. You know how tops of heads are cut off in portrait headshots- only in this case the other way 'round!

• Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    The lighting looks pretty good, I'm just distracted by the backgrounds in most of them.
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
    edited September 14, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    The lighting looks pretty good, I'm just distracted by the backgrounds in most of them.
    Yeah, I switched to my all purpose wide angle lens which doesn't give much of a shallow depth of field so I opted to keep the bkgd in shadow as much as possible and keep the window light on the subject.

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Brian, I like the subdued light in these, gives them a softness and intimacy which is absorbed by the subject. She is interacting attractively with the minimal set. I love how the set mainly adds areas of colour and tone, and is not really present as itself. In the first post back a few pages I didn't find the pov (looking up from below) very appealing, in this group it is more level. Also in the first group I find your dof too narrow, leaving out too much of the face, maybe the same is happening here, because there is something getting in between my seeing a clear impression of her face.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited September 15, 2011
    Thanks, Neil for your insightful thoughts. Not sure what you mean in your last sentence. "Narrrow" meaning too shallow dof or is it the lighting not giving enough dimension to the face?

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    i HATE Photobucket.:hang

I can't see it from the office.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I like 3 & 5, Brian. I'm still trying to figure out the "mood" on these - not quite formal portraits, not quite candids, not quite character studies .... I like them, don't get me wrong, but they still feel kind of "between schools". That may not be a bad thing, of course - I sometimes think we get too boxed in by "the shoulds" :D
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    I like your use of window light, it's effect on the subject and background. You have a nice contol of that type of lighting, congrats. My nit would be that bright areas come forward and dark areas receede. Meaning tooooooo much skin to take attention away from the face which is where the portrait should be.
    divamum wrote: »
    I like 3 & 5, Brian. I'm still trying to figure out the "mood" on these - not quite formal portraits, not quite candids, not quite character studies .... I like them, don't get me wrong, but they still feel kind of "between schools". That may not be a bad thing, of course - I sometimes think we get too boxed in by "the shoulds" :D
    I think I see where you're coming from. It's like she just walked in off the street rather than taking you beyond the ordinary. I have one more set to post that is much more formal of the same model. Maybe that will do it.

Hackbone wrote: »
    I like your use of window light, it's effect on the subject and background. You have a nice contol of that type of lighting, congrats. My nit would be that bright areas come forward and dark areas receede. Meaning tooooooo much skin to take attention away from the face which is where the portrait should be.
    Thanks for your comments. Something to consider. I coaxed some heightening of light out of these so I could probably go back and subdue some of the skin areas to emphasize the face more (if that was your meaning.)