Headshots / Lobby Cards

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited September 14, 2011 in People
I just finished reading Divamum's excellent sticky on the subject and the linked articles. I was looking at these photos and wondering if I have enough lighting equipment to attempt something like it. Not sure I could pull it off but, what the heck, how do you learn if you don't try new things? I've got (2) shoot thru umbrellas with speedlights, (1) small speedlight softbox, (1) additional speedlight, and enough cheap triggers to fire them.

Any suggestions for a lighting set up, or if it will even work?

Comments

• MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    I'm still experimenting myself with this look. I really like it. Here are a few of my most recent. I'm using: (1) Large softbox camera left, (1) white reflector camera right, (2) SB-600 speedlights with small shoot through umbrellas about 3 feet away on either side of a white paper background. Hope this helps. Personally I prefer a bit of shadow on the face, hence my results. That's just a personal style, I've shot with this setup without the shadow by moving my subject back a few feet. (btw, the first shot I had my background lights not at full power, and haven't PP'd it to fix that error)

20110908-Capture0045-Edit-M.jpg

20110902-ASC0592-Edit-M.jpg

20110831-ASC0583-Edit-Edit-M.jpg
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    Thanks! I think I'll start trying this out this weekend.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    I'm on my iPad so can't view flash but those look like a basic high key setup. Clamshell type setup on main - main just above camera shooting down on subject with reflector below. Two lights on bg about 2 stops brighter than main.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    I'm on my iPad so can't view flash but those look like a basic high key setup. Clamshell type setup on main - main just above camera shooting down on subject with reflector below. Two lights on bg about 2 stops brighter than main.

Hmm ... So, I can set up one umbrella above, I've got a reflector and holder for below, then use the other umbrella and small softbox to try and light the background?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Yes, and it's even better if you can flag the background lights so the light doesn't spill forward onto the subject and/or cause flare. Main requirement for THAT is space - it's the main reason I havent' been able to entirely successfully do hi-key at home, because I can't get the background lights far enough away (to the sides or rear) from the subject.

What I have done is bounce my speedlights FORWARD into a trifold posterboard set up just behind the subject - I use one fold to flag the light, and the foamboard turns the single speedlight into a larger light source and helps minimize hotspots (one of the challenges of lighting hi-key with smaller speedlights). I use one of those folding tri-boards (the kind students use for science fair projects) and, within the limitations described above, it does work thumb.gif

ETA: Also, just to reiterate again that Headshots and Lobby Cards don't necessarily have to be the same. Lobby cards are uniform shots done of an entire cast to give the audience a glimpse at the actor out of character rather than flattering and charismatic shots of the actor designed to be submitted in consideration for a part and/or personal promotion etc.

Btw, Dave, one of the best set of lobby cards I ever saw had a photo where one half of hte face was the actor out of makeup, and the other, the actor IN makeup. Can't remember the show - maybe Cats, or some other production with flashy makeup? Dunno. But it was WAY cool. Would be very easy to do with something like your original setup - just make sure to spike where the subject stands and I'd definiitely use a tripod - and spike it - to ensure that all shots could be easily lined up in post to create the effect.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    You can try V-flats, which is what I think DM describes. Basically, you join to sections of foam core board with tape, making them into a "V" shape. You place them behind and two the sides of the model with the V pointing towards the model. Then set each strobe inside the back of the V and pointing towards it. This will bounce light back to towards the BG and also keep it from hitting the model. You essentially turn your speedlight into a large light source. You want the speedlight bare BTW... no stofen or other modifier over it.

Check this site for DIY instructions: http://larryscheapshots.com/raw-materials/diy-larrys-answer-to-the-v-flat-question

And here is a lighting diagram that illustrates what I'm talking about: http://fochtcreative.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/jellybean.jpg

My Smug Site
    BTW, you can buy large 4'x8' foamcore boards at art framing supply stores. Some art framing or sign shops will sell them to you too if you ask or they can tell you of local suppliers. I could only find all white and all black but supposedly, there is an elusive white/black foamcore board. I'm going to buy both the white and the black in 3/16" thickness and glue them together so I have white on one side and black on the other. That way, I can use the v-flats as big reflector or big flags.

OH... and I've found them for $14 for white and $20 for black.

My Smug Site
    divamum wrote: »
    Btw, Dave, one of the best set of lobby cards I ever saw had a photo where one half of hte face was the actor out of makeup, and the other, the actor IN makeup. Can't remember the show - maybe Cats, or some other production with flashy makeup? Dunno. But it was WAY cool. Would be very easy to do with something like your original setup - just make sure to spike where the subject stands and I'd definiitely use a tripod - and spike it - to ensure that all shots could be easily lined up in post to create the effect.

That would be awesome. Not sure if I'll be able to try that one for a bit but will add it to my list of things to try. Sounds like it may be tough to pull off and would work best, as you said, for something with interesting makeup.

BTW Mostly what I'll be doing is on the lobby card side for now.
    BTW, you can buy large 4'x8' foamcore boards at art framing supply stores. Some art framing or sign shops will sell them to you too if you ask or they can tell you of local suppliers. I could only find all white and all black but supposedly, there is an elusive white/black foamcore board. I'm going to buy both the white and the black in 3/16" thickness and glue them together so I have white on one side and black on the other. That way, I can use the v-flats as big reflector or big flags.

OH... and I've found them for $14 for white and $20 for black.

Wow, that's pretty cheap. I'm going to have the same problem as divamum with room for all this. But, since I'm just down the road from the theatre, I may go over some time this, or next, week and try this all out.

Biggest problem is that most test shots have to be of me. Now that will be scary lookin'!

Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully will post some tests soon.