Recommendations needed...

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited September 15, 2011 in Cameras
I currently have a Canon Rebel XT...I have been wanting to upgrade for several years and have the opportunity to do so at this time. I have the opportunity to purchase a Canon Mark II N for $950. I am by no means a professional, but I do enjoy shooting sports (college football, and various high school sports) and have had decent results with my Canon XT and my Sigma 70-200mm lense.

Would you take the big leap and purchase a used Mark II N (with older technology) or purchase a new Canon T3i with newer technology. I have never shot shot with a full frame camera and am slightly worried about the loss of reach I will have with my 70-200mm on the Mark II N.

I am trying to stay in the $900-$1000 price range.

Your comments & expertise are requested.

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 14, 2011
    I still have 2 - Canon 1D MKII bodies and they are still splendid sports cameras. The newer 1D series bodies, the 1D MKIII and especially the 1D MKIV do a better job in low light, high-ISO, but if you give the camera correct exposure it will reward. (The more recent 1D bodies are also way above your budget.)

The Canon dRebel T2i and T3i are using AF technology very similar to the older Canon 20D and 30D bodies. The 1D MKIIN AF section is some of the best in any camera, including recent cameras, in terms of AF acquisition speed and AF accuracy. dRebels also have much slower "responsiveness" compared with the 1D MKIIN:

Viewfinder blackout, dRebel - 130ms, 1D MKIIN - 87ms
    Shutter Lag, dRebel - 90ms, 1D MKIIN - 40ms (optimal)
    Frames-Per-Second, dRebel - 3.7, 1D MKIIN - 8.5 (You can also set slower frame rates, as needed.)

You can still get the Sports Illustrated setup information for the Canon 1D MKIIN:

http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2N.inc

BTW, the 1D MKIIN is "not" a full-frame camera body. It is a crop 1.3x, APS-H sized sensor, between FF and crop 1.6x, APS-C sensors (like your XT/350D and the T3i.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    Thanks Ziggy...pretty much what I expected to hear...I am pulling the trigger on the Mark IIN. I appreciate you input.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    Yeah, definitely the mk2n. It's still one of the best sports cameras out there. Coming from an XT, you will absolutely LOVE it wings.gif

Ziggy, that's interesting about the T3i/T2i AF being about the same as the 20D/30D. Those were highly regarded sports cameras in their day. Technology marches on.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    I currently have a Canon Rebel XT...I have been wanting to upgrade for several years and have the opportunity to do so at this time. I have the opportunity to purchase a Canon Mark II N for $950. I am by no means a professional, but I do enjoy shooting sports (college football, and various high school sports) and have had decent results with my Canon XT and my Sigma 70-200mm lense.

Would you take the big leap and purchase a used Mark II N (with older technology) or purchase a new Canon T3i with newer technology. I have never shot shot with a full frame camera and am slightly worried about the loss of reach I will have with my 70-200mm on the Mark II N.

I am trying to stay in the $900-$1000 price range.

Your comments & expertise are requested.

Thanks

I would be more inclined to go with a new 60D or 50D - but good luck !