Options

Large Format Printer

klickingkatklickingkat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited September 16, 2011 in Finishing School
My high school is looking to buy a large format printer. Would like to print at least 20 x30. Any suggestions for under $5,000.00
Move thread if needed.
Sony A300 28-200 Tameron
Sony A300 70-200 f/2.8 Sony
Sony A100 75-300 4.5-5.6
Sony A100 18-70 3.5-5.6

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    1st one on ebay..... http://tinyurl.com/3euskxc EPSON STYLUS PRO - will do upto 24 inches wide.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 14, 2011
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    You are in luck. There are many choices for a 24" wide printer in your budget. Do remember most printers come with a starter ink set that contains only about half the ink in a new cartridge. Also you will need paper as well.

One issue will be controlling access and use of the printer, because the real cost is not the initial purchase of the printer but in using it. While the cost per print will be very economical, the cost of the ink and paper is substantial, and big chunks of money need to be spent at one time unlike buying a few prints at a time.

My choice would be the Canon 6350 24".

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    Good points, Sam!

Large printers are not trivial expenses, and ink and paper costs can be substantial. Especially if the printer is used by novices or is left unsupervised.

The computer will need a calibrated monitor profile to effectively use a fine art printer also.

The OP has not described the skill and knowledge level of the intended users.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif. We have several large plotters in our area at work, and had to lock them down as people would accidently send regular documents to them; wasting time and paper and ink.

(OTOH, if you ever need a really large Windows test page ...)
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    I have an HP Z3100 and I love it. If I were to buy another, I'd end up going with a Canon 44" next... MUCH bigger carts (770ml option) vs my 130ml HP's. HP is nice with the built in calibration tools, no external colorometer needed.
  • Options
    klickingkatklickingkat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    We would have it secured to be only used by certain people. I purchased laser photo paper a couple of years ago and for 11 X 14 it was $1.00 a sheet. We can get 20 X 30 poster printed at Sam's, which are decent quality, for less than $10.00. I am just the search for information person. I think the expense and upkeep cost would be to much.
    Sony A300 28-200 Tameron
    Sony A300 70-200 f/2.8 Sony
    Sony A100 75-300 4.5-5.6
    Sony A100 18-70 3.5-5.6
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    Have them check ITSupplies.com, I've bought there and know several others that have and they are damn cheap and really good since that's all they do (printers)
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    We would have it secured to be only used by certain people. I purchased laser photo paper a couple of years ago and for 11 X 14 it was $1.00 a sheet. We can get 20 X 30 poster printed at Sam's, which are decent quality, for less than $10.00. I am just the search for information person. I think the expense and upkeep cost would be to much.

The inks are what will cost you in the long run and one has to question using costly inks on such paper found at Sams. Start looking into ink costs!
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    Maybe look into continuous flow inking systems......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website