Speedlight for Olympus E-520

harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 16, 2011 in Cameras
Dear All,

Please help me to find out speedlight for Olympus E-520.

Please let me know which speedlight will help me.

Thanks & Regards,
Harish S. Agawane

Comments

• InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Hello,

I believe the 520 was one of the first cameras to support Olympus's remote control protocol (actually controlled using very brief flickers of the camera's built in flash). Assuming you've not done too much flash photography, it would probably be best to go with an Olympus flash unit (either the FL-36R or FL-50R). Metz also make compatible flashes that are i) cheaper and ii) more powerful than their Olympus equivalents.

I've only experimented with the FL-36R on my E-30 and E-PL1 (both with the flash in the hot shoe and with the flash firing remotely) so hopefully more experienced forum members can expand on this.

Edit: If you have any interest in off camera flash then avoid the FL-36 an FL-50 (both the FL-36R and FL-50R support remote).
  • harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Hi Internaut,

Thnks for the information, I have one more concern that in future I am going to change my camera will be going for nikon or canon, please suggest me something which will be compatible with both.

Thanks,
    Harish.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    I don't know of any flash that works with multiple systems (at least not with any advanced features). You might want to check out cheaper TTL compatible flashes that work with Olympus. Polaroid do one for about £40.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    There is no compatibility among flashes for advanced automation hot shoes (how the camera and flash electrically connect). Buy what you need now and sell later, if you switch brands.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • harish_agawaneharish_agawane Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    It seems I dont have any other option instead of buying flash for olympus...