Yankee stadium

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited September 21, 2011 in Sports
Going to my first Yankee game sinced I was kid next week. Wounding if anyone know how the lighting is for a night game? I plan on bringing my d90 (because its smaller then the d300) and my sigma 70-200 f2.8. Our seats are along the first base line. Think I'll be able to any good shots with that equipment?
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    I'd recommend considering which body you take based on ISO capacity & FPS options. If you happen to have the battery grip for the D300, it might be nice to have the extra FPS. I'm not sure about the ISO comparison between the two.

Have a blast!
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    I have a grip on the 90 and 300, you are probably right that the 300 probably has better high iso performance, maybe ill have to reconsider my choice, lol.
    D300s D90

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    The lighting is very very even and bright. However it definitely has a bluish tint. Sorry after long day of work my brain does not remember the name for the lights they are using. Thanks to HD Television and the YES network they have an immense amount of light. I am not exaggerating, something to be aware of is the color cast of the center field display. The video board (most people will call it a JumboTron but it is really a Daktronics board) puts out enough light to be visible during noon daylight in full color. THey do tone it and the ribbon boards down at night but it still can cause some odd coloring on white uniforms.

There are some interesting shots in the concession and "ancillary" areas (not seating bowl) so don't forget to look around.

I do not know their camera policy so you might want to check ahead of time, just in case.

A little preview for you....

1175109795_6ejrk-M-2.jpg

Have fun.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    Thanks for the info. I will shoot in raw so I can adjust the white balance in post. I checked their camera policy, I can bring a zoom lens as long as it doesnt interfer with other fans view the game. The restriction that I have to worry about is the bag, it cant exceed a certain size and my sligbag that holds my d300 with my 70-200 is too big. I may have to use a smaller bag and put the lens on when I get there.
    D300s D90

• codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    Bring a friend. Twice as much storage!
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    Lighting is excellent. You may have trouble taking in a 70-200mm lens though. I never brought mine because I've heard they will sometimes keep people from bringing in larger lenses.
    edited September 18, 2011
    I took this from the Yankee's website. It sounds too me that I should be able to bring the 70-200mm in right?????

The Yankees welcome Guests to capture the special moments from their visit to Yankee Stadium. Single-frame flash photography is permitted at Yankee Stadium, and extended length zoom lenses are permitted as long as they do not interfere with the game or event or fellow Guests' enjoyment of the game or event. Mono/tripods, other professional camera equipment, movie cameras and any other video or audio recording equipment are not permitted. Guests are not permitted to transmit and/or stream or aid in transmitting and/or streaming any account, description, picture, video, audio, reproduction or other information about any games or events.
    D300s D90

• GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    I took this from the Yankee's website. It sounds too me that I should be able to bring the 70-200mm in right?????

The Yankees welcome Guests to capture the special moments from their visit to Yankee Stadium. Single-frame flash photography is permitted at Yankee Stadium, and extended length zoom lenses are permitted as long as they do not interfere with the game or event or fellow Guests' enjoyment of the game or event. Mono/tripods, other professional camera equipment, movie cameras and any other video or audio recording equipment are not permitted. Guests are not permitted to transmit and/or stream or aid in transmitting and/or streaming any account, description, picture, video, audio, reproduction or other information about any games or events.

IMO you should be able to (I've read the same thing when going.), however, the part which they can get you is the term, "other professional camera equipment." Now, it seems you're shooting Nikon (if I remember correctly) so you may have less of a problem than us Canon shooters bringing in our white (well gray actually) L zooms.

I'd just be prepared to be turned away just in case. If they don't bug you then I'd consider it a bonus.

Good luck!
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    You should be fine. No strobing flash , and be polite to the neigbors. you should have a great place for some action. D300 is much faster on the shutter. as well as fps
    edited September 21, 2011
    Game is tonight, I'm rethinking bringing my 70-200 f2.8 in favor of the 70-300 kit lens to get tighter shots. Is the lighting at the stadium good enough for the 5.6 at 300mm????????
    D300s D90

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Game is tonight, I'm rethinking bringing my 70-200 f2.8 in favor of the 70-300 kit lens to get tighter shots. Is the lighting at the stadium good enough for the 5.6 at 300mm????????

I took shots w/ my Olympus E620 and my kit zoom and pancake f2.8 and it was just fine. I had no problems w/ my kit zoom and entry level dslr.

Also, don't take an ipad or nook reader type thing--not allowed. So it's odd the things that are not allowed vs. what is, so just be safe and don't take an exceptionally annoying zoom with you.

Have a great time! Hope you don't get rain delayed.
    Liz A.
    _________