Canon S100: mouth drooling...

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited November 15, 2011 in Cameras
Wow. Larger sensor, ISO 6400, same f/2 lens, smaller body AND built in GPS!

too bad its $429, but I can wait a bit.

http://dpreview.com/previews/canons100/

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/15/canon-powershot-s100-sx40/

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2011
    As an s95 owner, I'm not sure smaller is actually such a good thing - it's already kinda itty-bitty, and I definitely prefer using it with the case I bought on it rather than as-is.

I wonder how the high ISO will perform?

Very glad to see they're keeping the series, though - I really like my s95 and am soooo glad I decided to get a decent pns!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    It's only microscopically smaller in volume, in fact it's actually taller. But it also has new ergonomic features that should make it easier to hold.

Dimensions:
    S95: 3.93 x 2.3 x 1.16 in. (10.48 cu/I)
    S100: 3.9 x 2.4 x 1.1 in (10.29 cu/I)

The sensor is actually the same size as the S95 (1/1.7"), but more MP (12.5 MP versus 10 MP), which means smaller pixels which are generally associated with more noise. BUT, it's a totally new CMOS sensor versus the previous Sxx cameras that were CCD. Canon's DSLRs are of course CMOS as well, so this looks like a step in the right direction. The camera supports ISO6400, whereas the S95 supported only ISO3200. So one would infer that this sensor has better ISO performance, but we shall see.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    It looks good, but there's one thing that doesn't make sense to me. Canon already had a Powershot S100. That was the ELPH S100, and this new one is the S100 HS? Okay, but I still think they should have chosen a different name. They're too similar.

Isn't this the first camera with Digic 5? This will be interesting. Once we figure out the specs and see how much data it can handle...
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    It looks good, but there's one thing that doesn't make sense to me. Canon already had a Powershot S100. That was the ELPH S100, and this new one is the S100 HS? Okay, but I still think they should have chosen a different name. They're too similar.

are you talking about the SX100 IS from 2007?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_sx100is

There is also a SD100... http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_sd100

Canon has always been a pig when it comes to camera names.. I mean Rebel? Kiss Digital?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    No, the S100. Click the link in my post above.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    Saw it first thing today, too. The S95 does a pretty good job, *but 75% decrease in noise (and also going 10 --> 12 MB) looks like a huge step, and due to the Digic V. Looks very promising for future cams. Our S95 is more my wife's that I borrow all too often, but yeah, the 100 looks terrific. Full HD + slow motion clips are interesting too. Adding integrated GPS is just frosting on the cake. I like the direction they're moving. Me want (but won't get). Wah.

* I see now Canon is employing a CMOS instead of a CCD sensor. Usually that means lower noise but more expensive build. So coupled with Digic V, I can understand how the noise level could drop significantly.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    No, the S100. Click the link in my post above.

Does a 2MP camera from 2000 really get you confused with this S100? mwink.gif

Gotta believe at sometime they need to recycle these numbers, otherwise we will be using S10000 someday. And they have roped themselves in between the high end 1D, and midrange 10D (old). So they have a 5D and 7D, only things left are 2,3,4,6,7,8,9Ds. Is a 2D better than a 5D?
    edited September 16, 2011
    Just read the press release in that second link, and am surprised at one of the comments:

"You see, the S95 is almost universially loved for its impressive low light ability and great f2.0 lens. However, battery life is poor and the video capture is limited to 720p."

Have I just been really lucky with mine? I can easily get a day of snapshot/travel shooting out of a single charge. I bought a 2nd battery at the time of purchase simply so I'd have "one to wash and one to wear" - and I am glad to have two batteries when needed - but it's never something I've found to be a problem.

Anybody else had issues with it? Just curious.
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Just read the press release in that second link, and am surprised at one of the comments:

"You see, the S95 is almost universially loved for its impressive low light ability and great f2.0 lens. However, battery life is poor and the video capture is limited to 720p."

Never had an issue at all with mine and I shoot pics during bike tours that often end up in the 300 to 400 shots range in a day. I've loved mine and have had no issues at all.
    edited September 17, 2011
    I can do about 100 shots max, with chimping. I always carry a second battery.
    My Smugmug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Just got mine - I seriously needed to update my P&S... well this thing seems pretty darn cool. I will give it a go on some stuff this week and post some pics.
    edited November 14, 2011
    Andy, did you ever use an s90 or s95? I'll be really interested to see how the new sensor compares thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Andy, did you ever use an s90 or s95? I'll be really interested to see how the new sensor compares thumb.gif

Nope, sorry.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 15, 2011
    PC Magazine just posted their review of the Canon Powershot S100:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396223,00.asp

Bottom line: They were impressed with image sharpness and the high-ISO capabilities are on par or a little better compared to similar competing cameras.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 15, 2011
    Umm, Zig, that link brings you to the very old S100 from years back. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited November 15, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Umm, Zig, that link brings you to the very old S100 from years back. rolleyes1.gif

From the page:

"Bottom Line
    The Canon PowerShot S100 is a worthy successor to our previous Editors' Choice high-end point-and-shoot camera, the PowerShot S95. It adds a longer zoom lens and GPS, and improves on the S95's image quality and performance."

It works for me in both Chrome and FF. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    edited November 15, 2011
    Oops, my bad. I saw the satin finish pic at the top immediately thought it was the old S100 from 5 or 6 years ago. An unfortunate choice of names, by Canon, if I may say so. I've seen pre-reviews out there that actually made the mistake of pulling a photo of the old one from the net (or their files) and placed it in the press release copy of the 2011 S100.

I didn't know there was another choice of colors other than the black.
    My Smugmug
    edited November 15, 2011
    The Canon S100 Digital Elph apparently dates back to 2000/2001 (announced/available).

Yep, I'm seeing the Canon Powershot S100 (the current version) as available in either black or silver. Now if it was from Pentax we would probably see even more color choices. mwink.gif
    ziggy53