Options

White specks in images on SD550?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited October 17, 2005 in Cameras
I recently purchased a SD550 and took the camera to a car show this weekend. After downloading the images I found that many pictures had white specks in the photos. It appears as random specks but they are very large.

Here's an example, see the upper left corner.

40291366-L.jpg

I had problems like this on my 10D before but that was with a very dirty filter. Checked the SD550 and did not find any dust on the lens, could this be interior dust? I can still send the camera back to B&H if it is so.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    I wonder if that is a reflection from the spotlight off the car door. I suspect the reflection is off your lens and onto the inner surface of your filter.

And let me say "hubba hubba"!!:wow
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    I recently purchased a SD550 and took the camera to a car show this weekend. After downloading the images I found that many pictures had white specks in the photos. It appears as random specks but they are very large.

Here's an example, see the upper left corner.

40291366-L.jpg

I had problems like this on my 10D before but that was with a very dirty filter. Checked the SD550 and did not find any dust on the lens, could this be interior dust? I can still send the camera back to B&H if it is so.

Thanks,
    Rob

I had the same issues on my Canon SD110. According to Canon, it is dust in the air, close to the flash that is illuminated by the flash and shows up in the photo. Somewhat a function of how close the flash is to the lens itsself. I tried to find this in the Canon info website and could not now, but remember having ths same issue and finding it there.

You can email support and they will send you this answer! In the interum, please post more photos ( not of the dust, but of the car show!)

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    The dust idea I would believe. The event was indoors and is used for lots of events, combined with weak air circulation I'm sure there was lots of small dust in the air.

Here's some more photos of the show. These came out fine, no visible dust.

40291956-L.jpg

40291937-L.jpg

I'm going to watch my photos more carefully for dust now.

Rob
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    C'mon! Dust? I would think there would have to be snowflake sized dust in the air to cause that. I still think it is a reflection off the inner surface of your filter. Notice how it appears opposite the hot spots off the car? Show us some of your other shots with these white specks. If it happens again, take your filter off and try again.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    I'm not using any filter and did suspect it was caused by internal dust. I had similar problems on my 10D with a dirty UV filter, but that was major dust. I checked the front of my SD550 and can not see any visible speck of dust.

Rob
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 17, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    C'mon! Dust? I would think there would have to be snowflake sized dust in the air to cause that. I still think it is a reflection off the inner surface of your filter. Notice how it appears opposite the hot spots off the car? Show us some of your other shots with these white specks. If it happens again, take your filter off and try again.
    It's twue, it's twue.......lol

Small sensors, flash right on top of the lens and particulate in the air can cause this "snowflake" phenomena ne_nau.gif I've seen lots of pics like this, from many different compact cameras, and the cause is always the same. It can get even worse in a smoky enviornment.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero