Photographing people

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited October 19, 2005 in People
How do you photograph people? And I don't mean clicking the shutter. In the street does anyone just go up near a person and take a photo? Do you ask permission, take a pic from a distance or how?

I have real trouble taking good photos of people because everyone turns away when they see the camera.

I would value people's opinions and advice.

Thanks
B:dunno

Comments

• JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    My take...
    Well, this is an often debated subject, but my take goes against what most good photojournlalists do. For pictures unawares and natural, I use a long lens and try to go as stealth as I can.

There is no way a person will act natural if they know their photo is being taken. So really, it depends on what you want. Many photographers like to make a connection with their subject on the street... to feel a part of their experience. I don't. I want to observe their experience, not be in it.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    Sask2005 wrote:
    hotos of people because everyone turns away when they see the camera.

I would value people's opinions and advice.

Thanks
    Bne_nau.gif

here's some info by some guy here on dgrin naughty.gif
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Thanks to the two of you who have replied to my question. I have been trying to design a stable low tripod in the front passenger seat of my car which will hold one digital camera with a telephoto lens and allow me to swivel it towards oncoming people and get pics as they are unaware. Got an old suit jacket hanging by the camera on a roof hook which distracts the immediate view of the camera. Also experimenting with putting a camera in a backpack with a hole in the side of the pack and aiming it at people to try and get some natural shots, though this is not working yet.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Thanks to the two of you who have replied to my question. I have been trying to design a stable low tripod in the front passenger seat of my car which will hold one digital camera with a telephoto lens and allow me to swivel it towards oncoming people and get pics as they are unaware. Got an old suit jacket hanging by the camera on a roof hook which distracts the immediate view of the camera. Also experimenting with putting a camera in a backpack with a hole in the side of the pack and aiming it at people to try and get some natural shots, though this is not working yet.

Boy, that is a labor of love that you do for a setup to shoot people. I just take my camera and hope for a little bit of luck. Shooting people is in my eyes 90 procent luck and 10 procent camera knowledge...
    Personally, I use a long lens. I also like to shoot the back of people, which is usually no problem rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

40636089-M.jpg

40636101-M.jpg

In some cases, I go up and talk to the people, so I can connect with them, and mostly if they feel that my interest is genuine, it is no problem to take their photograph. If you ask permission and they say no, you have a problem.
    I often sit somewhere, and with my long lense, just browse... that is how I do series. The girl with the black dress is one of my favs. I call her the pigeon whisperer. Some of them are a bit overlighted, but I keep them in anyway to make the whole series. (I could also tone them down a bit in PS... but no time right now)
    With my way of snapping, I don't always have the right framing, and sometimes other people are in the way, but if my main object is inthere clear, I keep it. Sometimes the environment (context) helps painting the moment. I find people photography the most rewarding. I am addicted.
    In UK, it becomes rather hard now, as photographers are caved in a lot.
    So I always feel rather guilty when I take photographs of children... which is the cause of my hasty framing and just shooting away. (I shoot and think later...)

40171609-M.jpg

40636233-M.jpg

40636236-M.jpg

40172002-M.jpg

40636142-M.jpg

40636169-M.jpg

40636193-M.jpg

40636221-M.jpg
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Lovely shots Photocat. Your kid shots are wonderful, candid or not.

For shooting people, I too have the same issues. I still haven't gotten the nerve to walk up to people and ask to take their picture (unlike Yuri). I do find people picture taking a challenge and do enjoy it (for now).

To start, I'd try going to an event where people are distracted and there are lots of cameras. I just went to a renaissance faire last weekend (processing pictures) and found the whole event to be a great place to take pictures of people. And, for the most part, they don't mind getting their picture takenclap.gif.

I try to stay inconspicuous, but I don't try to hide. If they give me a dirty look, then I don't take their picture. Many times when they become aware of me, they will just turn away and keep doing it is that they were doing. I try to catch them as they make eye contact with the camera, but I often loose the moment. Oh well, there are lots of people and opportunities out there.

Just my take on this (which I'm not very successful at),
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

edited October 19, 2005
    Love the pics of the girl and the birds and the priest. Very nice. Wish I could take pics this good. Good advice from both of you too. I haven't got the courage to ask permission yet but everyone I point the camera too turns around with their back to me. One friend suggests saying the pics are for a poplular NZ newspaper and people naturally crave attention but that technique may fail if they ask too many questions. ne_nau.gif
    edited October 19, 2005
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Love the pics of the girl and the birds and the priest. Very nice. Wish I could take pics this good. Good advice from both of you too. I haven't got the courage to ask permission yet but everyone I point the camera too turns around with their back to me. One friend suggests saying the pics are for a poplular NZ newspaper and people naturally crave attention but that technique may fail if they ask too many questions. ne_nau.gif

thanks boys... Glad to hear you guys like them.
    As for asking people, I say that you start off with a no, but you can get a yes.
    If you don't ask, you surely never will get a yes...
    What is the worst that can happen if you ask to photograph them and they don't want it? It is their loss I say... In lots of cases, I show what I did on the display, and then they warm up and there we go. That works especially well with children. As they are mostly very curious...
    If they give you their back, try their back, I find sometimes nice shots even in backs (like my priest for instance...)
    Keep doing it, keep trying, it pays off... Just pretend you have self confidence, they don't need to know that you shiver inside... (which is my case). I am good in bluffing...
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 19, 2005
    I agree but in some countries the worst that could happen is you getting shot. I guess its a case of picking your location and your people. Once in Holland a asked a police officer with a shotgun or rifle at a demostration whether I could take his pic and he pointed the gun at me and shook his head. What more does one need. However I crossed the road and from a distance took his pic, when he was looking to the side.
    photocat wrote:
    thanks boys... Glad to hear you guys like them.
    As for asking people, I say that you start off with a no, but you can get a yes.
    If you don't ask, you surely never will get a yes...
    What is the worst that can happen if you ask to photograph them and they don't want it? It is their loss I say... In lots of cases, I show what I did on the display, and then they warm up and there we go. That works especially well with children. As they are mostly very curious...
    If they give you their back, try their back, I find sometimes nice shots even in backs (like my priest for instance...)
    Keep doing it, keep trying, it pays off... Just pretend you have self confidence, they don't need to know that you shiver inside... (which is my case). I am good in bluffing...
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 19, 2005
    Sask2005 wrote:
    I agree but in some countries the worst that could happen is you getting shot. I guess its a case of picking your location and your people. Once in Holland a asked a police officer with a shotgun or rifle at a demostration whether I could take his pic and he pointed the gun at me and shook his head. What more does one need. However I crossed the road and from a distance took his pic, when he was looking to the side.

Never ask a cop or someone with a rifle if you can take their picture... they can take it in a bad way. I was married to a cop, so I know what I am talking about... No cop wants his picture in a magazine or paper holding a rifle...
    Going to the other side of the road was a smart thing to do.;o)))
    We need healthy common sense to go around photographing.
    :D