edited September 18, 2011 in Weddings
From last Sundays wedding:

Sam

Ring-Shot-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited September 16, 2011
    Oh goodness that is some awesome macro love!
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    Very pretty. I haven't seen a solitaire engagement ring in a couple of years. Was it an older couple?
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    That is some dern fine macro work, Sam. Though I wonder if it would have been improved if you could see more of the rings themselves in the frame...

Anyway, the placement, the colors, the focus, all turned out fantastic. I love the bokeh you got on the petals farther back; they create a soft, simple background that really works well for a ring shot.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Pretty shot!! Just wish the "center cut" (oh my, I need to work on my diamond linguo) wouldn't be as dirty (obviously not your fault) and you could see trough into the ring, where all the pretty reflections are ... other than that it's a pretty shot!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Thanks all!!

Weddings are (in my opinion) always difficult with way less time than you want. For ring or any other still life one would generaly like to have a relaxed time frame to stage and check lighting reflections etc. Alas wedding don't give you that time.

Here are two different shots from the same wedding

Sam

MG4620HDR-Edit-1-M.jpg

MG4635-2-M.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    not really digging the 1st shot..the grey tones and the comp don't agree with me. on the other hand the 2nd and 3rd shots are great. I can see the rings and flowers and no grey tones
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Very nice, Sam!!
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    Very nice Sam. Something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for sharing.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.080072,-78.956231
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    I love the first shot. Good job Sam!!! I agree with Ang that a little shine on the stone would have been nice. You can hit them with a napkin or on your shirt and IMHO it is good policy to do so for the times when you get this kind of shine. I like how you composed it off center and bringing the focus to the rock, while fully utilizing the flowers and grooms ring as a secondary subjects.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    mmmatt wrote: »
    I love the first shot. Good job Sam!!! I agree with Ang that a little shine on the stone would have been nice. You can hit them with a napkin or on your shirt and IMHO it is good policy to do so for the times when you get this kind of shine. I like how you composed it off center and bringing the focus to the rock, while fully utilizing the flowers and grooms ring as a secondary subjects.

Matt,

What do you mean hit it with a napkin? While whacking it with a napkin do i yell at it? What do I tell the bride when she starts screaming?

Ya gota help me here.

Sam
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Matt,

What do you mean hit it with a napkin? While whacking it with a napkin do i yell at it? What do I tell the bride when she starts screaming?

Ya gota help me here.

Sam
    Just buff it Sam!!! Maybe because it is so small it is tricking my eyes but it looks like it is all smudgy on the front facet. I promise a napkin won't scratch a diamond! If it does hope their check doesn't bounce!!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Just buff it Sam!!! Maybe because it is so small it is tricking my eyes but it looks like it is all smudgy on the front facet. I promise a napkin won't scratch a diamond! If it does hope their check doesn't bounce!!

After I posted i thought that's what you meant, but you did give me an idea, I will take a very soft cloth maybe one designed for cleaning jewelery and put in my kit with the macro lens. Thanks!!

Sam
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    I love the detail of the diamond in the first post, very well done!