Po-Tay-Toe

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited September 19, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Just a few of my little puggy Potato. I was testing some DIY v-flats I built and she was a wiling subject:

DSC8775-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8767-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8757-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8752-Edit-X2.jpg

And one of the wife with "Tater":

DSC8791-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    I saw some of your shots like this in the "people" forum and they are great. Loved the catchlights on these. You must have used a medium sizes softbox for your catchlight. I am not a professional photographer and I haven't used the toys being used by the "big boys" so kindly take my comments with a lot of grain of salt.

1. I think the background lights are too hot and still putting in some spill on the main subject. The edge of the subject lost its definition so I would presume it was caused by the side lighting spills and not by the wide aperture choice. You can see that more with your shot of your wife and potato. Her skin is a bit brighter (which is what we call a flattering light for women) but the good thing with your exposure is that the texture of her skin is still visible. Maybe, just maybe, I would probably dial down the background lights a little bit so the spill is not affecting the exposure that much or maybe change the orientation of your V-flats so the light patterns would fall more on the white background.

All in all, a very fine practice shots! Man, you could charge very good money with this kind of lighting setup! Congrats.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    I know a lot less about lighting than Jiro, but I know a sweetheart when I see one. mwink.gif Thanks for sharing, Alex. thumb.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    What an expression in the first one! Sooo cute and a great photo to show off.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    jiro wrote: »
    I saw some of your shots like this in the "people" forum and they are great. Loved the catchlights on these. You must have used a medium sizes softbox for your catchlight. I am not a professional photographer and I haven't used the toys being used by the "big boys" so kindly take my comments with a lot of grain of salt.

1. I think the background lights are too hot and still putting in some spill on the main subject. The edge of the subject lost its definition so I would presume it was caused by the side lighting spills and not by the wide aperture choice. You can see that more with your shot of your wife and potato. Her skin is a bit brighter (which is what we call a flattering light for women) but the good thing with your exposure is that the texture of her skin is still visible. Maybe, just maybe, I would probably dial down the background lights a little bit so the spill is not affecting the exposure that much or maybe change the orientation of your V-flats so the light patterns would fall more on the white background.

All in all, a very fine practice shots! Man, you could charge very good money with this kind of lighting setup! Congrats.

Hmm... I'm always open to feedback but I'm not sure I agree with some of yours. The BG being too hot... could it be your monitor? It looks fine on mine and I got no blinkies on the histogram that I recall. These are High Key and as such, you won't have very many shadows with most of the photo being in the midtone and highlight range. I still see detail in her fur and distinction between the outline of her little body and the BG. Again, could be your monitor.

If it is too bright, it wasn't the light spill from the BG lights. I had them flagged with v-flats so almost all the light was directed at the BG. Maybe some bounce from the white BG itself.

I do appreciate your feedback Jiro. You're always so thoughtful.
    Richard wrote: »
    I know a lot less about lighting than Jiro, but I know a sweetheart when I see one. mwink.gif Thanks for sharing, Alex. thumb.gif

Little Potato is a sweetie. I've had dogs my entire life, they all have different personalities. I can say I have never had a dog that is so sweet and is so happy to see me when I come through the door. Her little curled up tail is constantly wagging. Even in these pics, her tail never stopped moving.
    Eia wrote: »
    What an expression in the first one! Sooo cute and a great photo to show off.

Yeah... that first one is nothing but LOVE. She was doing the signature "Pug Head Tilt" that every pug I've ever had or run across does when you talk to them. I think in that pic, I asked her if she wanted to go for a swim.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    Hmm... I'm always open to feedback but I'm not sure I agree with some of yours. The BG being too hot... could it be your monitor? It looks fine on mine and I got no blinkies on the histogram that I recall. These are High Key and as such, you won't have very many shadows with most of the photo being in the midtone and highlight range. I still see detail in her fur and distinction between the outline of her little body and the BG. Again, could be your monitor.

If it is too bright, it wasn't the light spill from the BG lights. I had them flagged with v-flats so almost all the light was directed at the BG. Maybe some bounce from the white BG itself.

I do appreciate your feedback Jiro. You're always so thoughtful.

Yeah, must be my monitor, Alex. :Dthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • mstensmstens Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins

I think some of the cause for this feedback is the tonal similarity of the background to the subjects hai---err-- fur.. Out of curiosity how many stops over your main light were your background lights? With as close as they are, bounce can be problematic. That all said, the pictures are wonderful and I totally dig the high-key tonality, especially in the shot with your wife (where, btw, I completely see defined subject edges). Very nice! Nice DIY v-flats too btw! thumb.gif

Then again, it may be calibration time for my monitor too.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    Potato is a sweetie ... love the second photo. Makes one wonder what's going through her little mind :D
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    next stop doggie photo contest!! these are great! Maybe even try them in stock photos. In other words they are too cute to keep to yourself ! and btw what lens did you use?
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700