Tokina Wide Angle Lens Question

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 20, 2011 in Cameras
So it's gotten to where I need to purchase a wide angle lens as I'm starting to get some business which requires it. I'm shooting a crop body sensor (Canon) so I need an ultra wide. Looking at either the Tokina 11-14mm f2.8 or the 12-24mm f4. Reviews seem pretty good on both. I don't need the wider aperture but it might be fun to play with a little at times. However, the f2.8 is about $110 more than the f4. Not a HUGE price difference but it's large enough to make me pause.

Wondering if anyone can comment on either lens and help me decide which to go with.

Thanks.

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2011
    Both lenses are awesome so I would simply recommend buying the one that is more suited for your shooting style. If you shoot more photojournalistically, and enjoy just hanging out with friends and shooting hand-held in close quarters, then the 11-16 is it. If you're a methodical landscape etc. type shooter who likes to use a tripod when an image matters, then of course get the added range in the 12-24.

Personally, I would go with the 11-16 because I do a little of both- I shoot photojournalism on both crop sensors and full-frame snesors, (and the 11-16 works great on full-frame if you leave it at 16mm!) ...and I also enjoy doing crazy landscape / cityscape things at night, or star trails / time lapses, where f/2.8 and 11mm is pretty valuable. But I would ONLY consider it a good buy if I also had a 24-70 on a full-frame camera to compliment it with, as far as photojournalism and portraiture are considered. 16mm is kinda limiting even on a crop sensor...

Good luck deciding!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    Matt makes a lot of good points. I went for the 12-24 because I wanted the added range for landscape shooting, and was fine giving up 1mm on the wide end. I haven't felt a need for f/2.8 very often, but I don't use my 12-24 for photojournalistic/street/wedding photography very much.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    The 11-16mm sacrifices range for IQ. Optically it is very good and better then most wide angles out there (distortion, sharpness, etc).
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins