No title nescessary
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    When in doubt, call it "Untitled."
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Title issues aside this is a very cool shot, for lack of a better word.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    bfjr wrote: »
    Yes, it's cool,odd :D

No title nescessary

Thanks! It is a bit of an odd pic. Still uncertain about it, kind of like it though.
  • Options
    Title issues aside this is a very cool shot, for lack of a better word.

Thanks Liz, "staring into the light" might be a title for this.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    I like this because it is well-composed and requires my continued viewing to figure out what I am seeing. You do have a good eye for interesting shots.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    I like this because it is well-composed and requires my continued viewing to figure out what I am seeing. You do have a good eye for interesting shots.

Thanks Rainbow, I'm glad you liked it
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 20, 2011
    I've come back to this shot several times and I keep seeing new things, which is always a good sign. I don't know why exactly, but long converging lines have always attracted me. This one has the added benefit of the mysterious figure at the end. What is he doing there and where are his legs, one wonders. At first I had the impression that the space in the middle was some sort of channel or chute, but I finally realized that the curvature is only a reflection of the vaulted ceiling--or at least, that's what I think it is lol3.gif. Very cool shot, Juano. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Richard wrote: »
    I've come back to this shot several times and I keep seeing new things, which is always a good sign. I don't know why exactly, but long converging lines have always attracted me. This one has the added benefit of the mysterious figure at the end. What is he doing there and where are his legs, one wonders. At first I had the impression that the space in the middle was some sort of channel or chute, but I finally realized that the curvature is only a reflection of the vaulted ceiling--or at least, that's what I think it is lol3.gif. Very cool shot, Juano. thumb.gif

I'm very happy that you liked it. It is a complex photo, there is always a risk with images like this that they will be overwhelming. Judging from the comments, it looks that this one worked out. After I posted it I thought that you were going to suggest a crop so that at least one of the lines of the silver platform starts from a corner. Thoughts?

Thanks for the comment.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    And coming in from left field...I think this is a better idea than it is a photograph. I can look at it and see what you saw, and what I believe you were going for. But the figure in the center is so small, and there are, as you note above, so much complexity, and in the end it doesn't quite come together. Had you been closer to that central figure, or shot this with a long lens - or perhaps even if you could burn in the figure, it might work. But it's a great attempt.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    And coming in from left field...I think this is a better idea than it is a photograph. I can look at it and see what you saw, and what I believe you were going for. But the figure in the center is so small, and there are, as you note above, so much complexity, and in the end it doesn't quite come together. Had you been closer to that central figure, or shot this with a long lens - or perhaps even if you could burn in the figure, it might work. But it's a great attempt.

Thanks for the honest "left field" reply. I did try to darken the figure a bit. Physically, it was not possible to get closer but could have zoomed in more I guess but would have lost some of the train station's complexity that I like.... It all comes to choices, ability and timing...
  • Options
    Juano wrote: »
    Thanks for the honest "left field" reply. I did try to darken the figure a bit. Physically, it was not possible to get closer but could have zoomed in more I guess but would have lost some of the train station's complexity that I like.... It all comes to choices, ability and timing...
    how about this?

I am not sure what is going on here but I went back to the original version on my site and it seems it updated the link too... It seems that Richard was the only one who saw saw it. What I had was a crop with a darker figure, trying to follow BD's idea. I will try to post it again later.

DSC0038-XL.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    I dunno. Maybe I've looked it too much to see it with fresh eyes, but the mystery I sensed in the original seems diminished in the crop. Still, it's a fine composition and an interesting image.
  • Options
    Richard wrote: »
    I dunno. Maybe I've looked it too much to see it with fresh eyes, but the mystery I sensed in the original seems diminished in the crop. Still, it's a fine composition and an interesting image.

Thanks Richard, I'll go back to the original version. Good discussion.