Options

Don & Maricela

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 15, 2011 in People
I had two couples sessions yesterday. This was the second. Pretty challenging at first. Let's just say that dogs have a longer attention span than Don did. When he wasn't making faces, he was looking away or talking. I tried taking a break and just talking to him and Maricela. That didn't seem to help. I soon realized I would have to find a way to make his restlessness work for me.

They seemed to be a fun couple that like to laugh so I decided to engage Don in some razzing, keeping the mood playful. I snapped shots when I saw them. Let's just say servo AF and burst mode were my friends here.

I'm pretty happy with the shots I managed to get. I got some outtakes but I also got some that I think really convey how I saw them as a couple and what I felt their relationship was like. I had a lot of fun.

Here are a few of my favorites. Let's hope they like them as much as I do.

1 - Love how stoic he looks here, juxtaposed to how soft and friendly she looks.
DSC8901-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC8894-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC8900-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC8948-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC8937-Edit-XL.jpg

6 - Don't mind the crop here. There's a purpose to it.
DSC8914-Edit-XL.jpg

DSC8980-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    #7 is an absolute winner! Just looking at this series I can't help but think this guy must have been a handful.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2011
    Although I wasn't a big fan of the lighting used on the younger couple you had posted earlier with the white background, it looks like you have it spot on in these. Very rich looking without that spill over look.

Nice fun poses too!

As my boy would say, "Beauty way to go!"
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    You did an amazing job and got to the heart of your subjects. Congrats!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    Cuban, #7 is an "A" double ++.
    Light, mood, you see the love flowing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    # 4 and 5 follow in line.
    WOW..
    Carlos. (Y.)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    Thanks guys. I emailed the couple last night to let them know the gallery is up. Looking forward to see what they think.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2011
    Wonderful! I don't know them, but can't help but get a sense of their personalities from the shots. I feel you captured then in 'honest' moments, and I can't image they didn't love these.
    Thanks for sharing the challenges and your process to turn it around.