Options

Is a DSLR a electronic device? (Plane question)

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited November 2, 2005 in Technique
I got back from Vienna to London with the plane. While landing I was taking shots of London from the air. A steward came up to me and said that taking pics was forbidden as during landing, all electronic gear had to be switched off.
I felt really bummed, as I had such a clear view of London, how many chances do you get to take pics like that.
Now comes my question, is my digital SLR an electronic device that can interfere with air traffic control or any control in the plane?
I know I have to switch off my cell phone, I do, but I wonder now about the camera. Any information would be greatly appreciated, as on thursday (2 days from now) I leave for California, and it would be nice to know before I board wether my camera is the same thing as a cell phone...

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    I got back from Vienna to London with the plane. While landing I was taking shots of London from the air. A steward came up to me and said that taking pics was forbidden as during landing, all electronic gear had to be switched off.
    I felt really bummed, as I had such a clear view of London, how many chances do you get to take pics like that.
    Now comes my question, is my digital SLR an electronic device that can interfere with air traffic control or any control in the plane?
    I know I have to switch off my cell phone, I do, but I wonder now about the camera. Any information would be greatly appreciated, as on thursday (2 days from now) I leave for California, and it would be nice to know before I board wether my camera is the same thing as a cell phone...

most airlines make you shut them off. yeah, it's an electronic device. that said, there's lots of doubt about whether a camera could actually bring a plance down, but hey, they run the airlines, not us :D
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    most airlines make you shut them off. yeah, it's an electronic device. that said, there's lots of doubt about whether a camera could actually bring a plance down, but hey, they run the airlines, not us :D
    PC,
    Yeah, I agree with Andy. I've also been told to stow my camera during takeoffs and landings ne_nau.gif It is an electronic device. But I know better than to believe that a digital camera, or computers or cell phones for that matter, can foul up the planes radios/navigation. There are moves afoot to relax this requirement since there is no valid technical reason for it. Well, other than to ensure the Flight Attendants have total control of the cabin during takeoffs and landings.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    andy wrote:

thanks Andy, I have more faith in you then in that steward. For some reason I thought that electronic devices gave off a little internal flame (I am not a techno) or a spark. I was not sure wether a digital camera gives a spark...
    So that is why I asked.
    I guess I will shut it off from now on, biting all my nails for all the opportunities I miss...

Catherine
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2005
    PC,
    Yeah, I agree with Andy. I've also been told to stow my camera during takeoffs and landings ne_nau.gif It is an electronic device. But I know better than to believe that a digital camera, or computers or cell phones for that matter, can foul up the planes radios/navigation. There are moves afoot to relax this requirement since there is no valid technical reason for it. Well, other than to ensure the Flight Attendants have total control of the cabin during takeoffs and landings.

Steve

What do you know, I am coming to San Jose thursday... Grin...
    I do believe for myself that phones and computers can screw up navigation, based on total non technical suspicions, I am a technical nitwit, but I had doubts for camera's. Computers and phones have links to outside world, so it would not surprise me that they could interact...
    If you have time and energy, would you mind giving me some hints of where to go for nice photographs? I will be in the area for fourteen days.

Thanks for your response

Catherine
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 17, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    What do you know, I am coming to San Jose thursday... Grin...
    I do believe for myself that phones and computers can screw up navigation, based on total non technical suspicions, I am a technical nitwit, but I had doubts for camera's. Computers and phones have links to outside world, so it would not surprise me that they could interact...
    If you have time and energy, would you mind giving me some hints of where to go for nice photographs? I will be in the area for fourteen days.

Thanks for your response

Catherine
    Hi Catherine,
    So what do you like to shoot? There is a pretty kewl little dowtown area. It has a Tech Museum and some fountains and street scuptures within walking distance from each other. There are also many parks and a small zoo in town. The beach and Santa Cruz (great seafood on the wharf :eat ) is about 40 minutes away and San Francisco or Oakland are less than an hour drive.

Let me know what kind of subjects you'd like to shoot and I'll try to come up with some options for you :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Mabe I can help with this. There are certain items like cell phones and laptops with wireless capabilities that can send out frequencies not on the same channels but enough to posibly cause communication interference. The plains also have a time were they have to shut off certain items to keep from causing problems with incoming and some taxying aircraft. next time you are flying take a look at the ground you will see two different types of lines on the taxy ways and runways. One is a runway hold line which should be a double dotted line with a double solid line. The second is a IFR hold line which I cant remember the exact full name of it but this is the line were they turn on and shut off items of choice. This line is two wide set solid lines with multiple lines conecting them horazontaly.

This might be a little to much of a answer and a small bit off the subject but it might help.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Well...
    andy wrote:
    Me being the rebellious and fearless person that I am, took PLENTY of shots when they asked us to turn stuff off...I just made sure no one noticed.

And the plane did not seem to have any problems. However, in the sense of order, I can see how they would ask you to turn off EVERYTHING for two reasons...

1) No one in charge of flying or hosting that plane is an electronics expert. They don't WANT to play guessing games at what will and won't affect air signals. They'd just assume turn everything off and feel safer for it.

2) Even assuming that they could figure out what is and isn't a problem..as soon as someone has to turn one thing off, and some one else doesn't, there is going to arise the "But he doesn't have to!" argument. And then the law goes to hell. So they might do it just to be "fair" to everyone and not have to argue over it.

MainFragger
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    photocat wrote:
    This would be roughly the point where you pull out your film body loaded with Velvia or Provia, and tell them to stuff it because you're using an "electric" device, not electronic.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    G'day PC !

I would have assumed the problem was in the even of an accident then the camera becoming a missile & clocking someone in the head.

I recon that a camera in the back of the head would be a god send in this even & thus smile & do as they ask until they have to sit down then i go to town...that or i just hide it when they walk past. Im lucky as my head sticks up over the seat & i can see 'em coming.

Just dont ask if you can 'shoot out the window' once underway like i did....should have seen her face rolleyes1.gif

Gus
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2005
    Just to add more to the mix
    The FCC bans phones on planes currently due to the intereference it causes to the Cellular networks on the ground.

Quoted from this site http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of potential interference to cellular phone networks on the ground.

End Quote!

Usually a cell phone will be in range of just a couple of towers, and routing the call will be fairly easy, but get the cell phone into the air, and the range is greatly increased and the number of cell towers in range jumps a huge amount. This can cause all kinds of hassles to the cell companies and potential intereference to the cellular networks

I am not an expert on this issue, but have been curious as to the baqn myself

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Oh Great!
    The FCC bans phones on planes currently due to the intereference it causes to the Cellular networks on the ground.

Quoted from this site http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellonplanes.html

FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of potential interference to cellular phone networks on the ground.

End Quote!

Usually a cell phone will be in range of just a couple of towers, and routing the call will be fairly easy, but get the cell phone into the air, and the range is greatly increased and the number of cell towers in range jumps a huge amount. This can cause all kinds of hassles to the cell companies and potential intereference to the cellular networks

I am not an expert on this issue, but have been curious as to the baqn myself

Andy
    I finally find a way to get 4 bars, and they make it illeagle! Thats corporate business for ya!

MainFragger/Brian