Options

Pa. Bull Elk

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited September 30, 2011 in Wildlife
Got a few shots near Benezette last week. The Elk are beginning the breeding season now and may often be seen grazing in the fields with their harem of cows.

Spinner

72dpiWallowBull26x6-1.jpg

72dpiWallowBull36x6-1.jpg

72dpiWallowBullCROP-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2011
    Wow, fantastic shots. I spent the week chasing the Michigan Elk last week but didn't get anything this good. 3 looks like a crop of 2, great detail. What gear were you using? You either have alot of reach or this guy was close.
  • Options
    Thank you JS, appreciate the kind words. I was using a Canon 50D and 70-200 2.8 IS lens and honestly it was too much. The bull was so close I could smell it. :puke1 Not a good thing considering it had just came from a wallow and was emitting musk like crazy. :D
    3 is a crop I liked the kind of mournful look on his face and in his eyes and tried to get the viewer to see it also.

Hope you get into them too. I'm heading back sometime this week as I hear there banging heads now and that is always fun to shoot.

Spinner
  • Options
    How did you get so close?
  • Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    Great captures of the brutish power of these guys. I'm going there the 2nd weekend in Oct. and hope I can even come close to what you got.
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2011
    marionet wrote: »
    Great captures of the brutish power of these guys. I'm going there the 2nd weekend in Oct. and hope I can even come close to what you got.

Thank you and I am sure you will, they should be in rare form by then. clap.gif
    To answer your question JS, they are used to seeing people and being photographed and usually great photo opportunities may be had. Couple their tolerance with the fact this guy had his mind set on getting to an area where the ground was cluttered with apples and the moment was gold. thumb.gif

Marionet, just a suggestion. Get to the top of the viewing area at Winslow Hill before daylight then hit the new Elk Center area as they have been hanging around there too. Grab lunch at the Benezette Hotel then drive the surrounding back roads an hour or so before dark and I'll bet you score some great shots. ( Thats usually my routine )

Be prepared for a chance at some good whitetail buck shots also, saw a few dandy's last trip up.

Have fun,

Spinner
  • Options
    How about this for close? :ivar
    I took this one of a writer friend of mine getting up close and personal with a few cow elk.

Spinner :D

72dpiRalph-Elk1.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, No, Michigan Elk are not going for that in my experiance. They would be headed for the woods. I have to wear full camo, work from downwind and stay hidden.
  • Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    Beautiful set. I love the close-up in particular. He does look mournful... almost weary. He's hauling around one heck of a rack of antlers, so I'd say the weariness is earned. ;)
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Very nice set of images, I also like the close up.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2011
    Great shots. What a great opportunity to be able to get that close.
  • Options
    ShimalaShimala Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 30, 2011
    Fantastic shots! I would be too afraid to get that close.

dental school mexico clinica dental tijuana dental mexico